Toyota Nation Forum banner

Oil Filter Removal Tool + Transmission Fluid

1383 Views 34 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Catanzaro
Does anyone have thoughts on if the transmission fluid should be changed at around 100,000 miles? Shifting is perfectly fine. Mechanics have told me to leave it alone, or the change could cause problems. One dealer will not touch the fluid change, as they stated it could cause problems with shifting. Once I had a 2004 BMW 745 and it caused so many problems after the fluid change, that BMW had to reprogram the whole vehicle. That car had a leak, so this is why I changed the fluid and moved forward.

Also, I ordered this removal tool, from MotivXTools, and it has no notches. It appears to fit really nicely. Does anyone recommend any other removal tools?

The dealers have become too expensive to change the oil (originally I was saving $20), but now it is like $45-$50, so I am going to perform the next oil change at 100,000 even. Looking at $38-$40 plus a one-time charge of $30 for the tool. Dealers are now charging around $100.

Does anyone recommend any other tool (under $30) with the notches?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts

· Catanzaro
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is finding someone in NJ to do this. Does anyone know someone who will handle this? On a regular vehicle with a dipstick, no problem for me, but honestly not comfortable tackling this jb on my own. Thank you.

· Catanzaro
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ARES 56012-64mm Oil Filter Wrench
Have you used this one? I think I will order just to have one as an extra. Also, I have been going 10,000 miles with Synthetic between oil changes, because of mainly highway miles, not under extreme conditions. Considering that 100K will be on the clock soon, I will decrease the frequency, and not sure if 5,000 or 7,500 miles is where I want to be. The oil and filter will only be $35 at this point
A reputable shop should do, or dealer.
I will have to search for one as the dealer near me will not touch the car. They want no liability, which is strange. Any recommendations of places in NJ while I wait would be great.

· Registered
23 Posts
I would change the fluid. No fluid lasts forever. Yes there are people who go 200,000, 300,000+ miles but do you want to risk that? I did it on my parents 2012 Avalon. There are several You Tube videos on how do it. It is little more complex than the older cars which had a dipstick. The newer Toyota's you don't want to under fill or over fill. They are sensitive. You have to wait until the temperature of the transmission fluid reaches 99-115 degrees. I used an infrared thermometer from Harbor Freight. Then you remove the straw until the fluid comes to a slow trickle. Transmission fluid is cheap. Replacing your transmission is expensive. Just get Toyota WS fluid. It is just synthetic fluid so you will be good for another 100k.

· Catanzaro
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In Monmouth County, near 195 and Route 9 (Freehold-Howell area). I travel all over the area, so any place in Union County, Monmouth, Middlesex, Somerset, or Hunderton County would be convenient. I will not tackle this job alone.

· Catanzaro
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I decided to go to Toyota of Princeton. The trans drain/fill is $199 + Tax. Quite honestly, I am not very comfortable attempting this one. Plus, if the fluid is not at the correct level, all sorts of things can happen to the transmission. Between the cost of the parts, it is just not worth it. The drain plug is there, but the way to fill it and the correct temperature is just nuts. They recommended it at the 100K mark and after this every 30K, and only drain/fill and no flush.

Why they created this type is beyond me. My 99 Lexus is a breeze to change the fluid. I changed it every 20K miles as the cost is only like $30. Even my sister's 2012 Corolla has a dipstick. Car shifts beautifully.

I spoke to the service advisor for over 20 minutes yesterday. They have a good reputation. The only thing that clearly bothers me is not being able to check if the fluid was done. But here we are talking about a dealer. They have been around for a long time and have very few complaints. I will ask them to drive the vehicle first. They stated that if the car is shifting properly, there will be no issues. Only if the car has problems, it could be more problematic.

Regarding the oil change, it went smoothly. The problem was that the idiot over-torqued the drain bolt on the housing, so when I tried to take it off, the whole unit came off. So I torqued the housing to about 40 ft. lbs., and then removed the drain bolt. The torque specs were 10 ft. lbs for the drain bolt, 20 ft. lbs. for the housing, and 30 ft. lbs. for the oil drain plug. The old filter after 8,000 miles was really dirty.

Question: Is 5,000 for oil changes too short, or is 7,500 just right? Mainly drive between 20 miles and 120 miles when taken out, with 80% of the miles all highway.

· Catanzaro
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not crazy about this independent mechanic here. I have been in this area for over 20 years, and the complaints about mechanics have been crazy. The dealer is the best choice. Even if I saved $50-$75, not worth the risk of the incorrect fill on the transmission. I had an issue with an independent on 2004 BMW 745 Li. He used universal fluid. The car shifted like crap. He had to order OEM fluid and I had not had a vehicle for a week. He finally got the car to shift properly (except 2nd/1st gear). The car had to go back to a BMW dealer to reprogram the shift characteristics. Luckily, my friend hooked me up with BMW of Newton and I walked away with under $300. Eventually sold the car as I had enough.

So very important to bring somewhere that clearly knows what they are doing. Thank you.

· Registered
18 Avalon XLE
108 Posts
I do my oil changes now at 8k; mostly highway. Lot of people recommend 5k, and never 10k, but depends on engine time, not really the miles.

Yes, getting the trans fluid at correct level is tricky. I used the OBD pin trick and seems to have worked just fine.

They over torque all the time, yes. They believe it won't leak the tighter it is.

· Catanzaro
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am probably going to stick with the 7,500-mile interval. What filters are you using? Given the controversy over the years, it appears almost every brand has bad publicity. OEM may be the way to go moving forward. I have been sticking with the 10,000-mile oil changes, given mainly highway miles. Usually, the oil color on the dipstick is an amber color. Now at the 100K mark, I will be increasing the frequency for sure.

· Catanzaro
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you. I have to order something from Rock Auto and will purchase this one and give it a try. Maybe 2 of them so I am good for a few years.

Assume this is the correct one for a 3.5 L V6 Toyota Avalon. Mine is 2016.

Reactions: SVTfocusO3

· Long-haired Southern-Squidbillie
2004 Camry 2AZ engine; 2018 Camry LE
236 Posts
This guy does a cost analysis of 5k vs 10k oil changes after he shows rebuilding an engine, some folks still do 3k oil changes driving some old high mileage camrys. He also has video on trans oil change.
[edit, didn't post the one i intended the first time]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts