Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
As of now my gorgeous Camry is sitting on a jack and stands, as it is too low to put on car ramps, with no oil. Bought a cheapo filter housing removal tool that did not fit. Going to dealership to pick up their filter housing removal tool, which stinks. A trip to dealer to change your own oil? Come on Toyota, that is not right. My '05 corolla was so easy to change oil on, I was disappointed to see this cheap plastic housing requiring a special tool. I will be using a fram filter with mobile one 0-20 full syn, 22.50/5qt @ wally world.
So from now on rubber gloves and tool assembly will be required to do this used-to-be simple job.
If you put some 2x6 blocks in front of your ramps it will lift the car enough to use the ramps. I would recommend you use the Toyota (Denso) oil filter. I used Fram element type filters in my Mazda and I found they crushed and bypassed oil. The proper Toyota filters are not that expensive from the dealer, less expensive still over the net.

·
Registered
265 Posts
As of now my gorgeous Camry is sitting on a jack and stands, as it is too low to put on car ramps, with no oil. Bought a cheapo filter housing removal towithout id not fit. Going to dealership to pick up their filter housing removal tool, which stinI'm A trip to dealer to change your own oil? Come on Toyota, that is not right. My '05 corolla was so easy to change oil on, I was disappointed to see this cheap plastic housing requiring a special tool. I will be using a fram filter with mobile one 0-20 full syn, 22.50/5qt @ wally world.
So from now on rubber gloves and tool assembly will be required to do this used-to-be simple job.

I learned from experience- its much better idea to unscrew the filter first. You can always drive the car to a shop to repair for busted oil plug with new filter than driving a car without oil.

I thought I was going to sell the Camry due to income decrease so I sold my Matco speciality filter wrenches. Now I'm not....so I'm testing the water with my first DIY "Toyotas 10k oil change" since I knew i wouldnt get the wrench in time. So far...I feeling no difference but I do have much shorter drive fo work which I'm not full comfortable having that oil in for longer time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil filter

Just went to change both today and discovered this cartridge filter. What a pain in the butt. I have 4 toyotas and lots of tools..not happy that I need a special tool for such a simple task. I had already drained the oil before I realized this problem so I have an older Filter with new 0 w 20 oil. Oh well..have to see the dealer to buy this for next time. The corolla is a great Canadian made car...and it is shipped all over and I have seen them in Hawaii and even Central America. This filter may be part of their weight lessening incentive to increase fuel economy. Bizarre as it sounds, every gram counts. May not like it but that is the way it is.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Personally I changed oil only at 4,000 km (2,500 miles), and then the first oil and filter at 8,000 km. In Canada the official Toyota warranty requirement is to do oil and filter at 8,000, 16,000, and 24,000 km, or every 5,000 miles. After that they specify every 16,000 km or 10,000 miles. In the US it appears all oil changes are every 10,000 miles. Not sure of the reason for the difference. Perhaps just a decision made by Toyota Canada vs Toyota USA. Could be similar to the tire thing. Canadian Camry XLE's seem to come with Michelin Primacy tires (made in US), while the US models come with Bridgestone Turanza.
Because of all colder starts.................

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bought a cheapo filter housing removal tool that did not fit. Going to dealership to pick up their filter housing removal tool, which stinks. A trip to dealer to change your own oil? Come on Toyota, that is not right. My '05 corolla was so easy to change oil on, I was disappointed to see this cheap plastic housing requiring a special tool. I
This is an older thread, but hopefully someone reading will get some use out of this information. Basically if you buy a Toyota, Lexus, or Scion with a 1.8L engine from about 2009 and newer, or 2006 and newer if it has a 2.5L or larger engine you will probably need a special oil filter wrench to complete the oil change. A lot of the cheap ones don't fit right, break, or strip the plastic housings, we've tested about all of them. Simply put, ours fit perfectly and will last the life of your vehicle. Here's an info page we put together about the Toyota cartridge style oil filter housings and wrenches. We've included some accurate application charts at the bottom of the page to use as a reference: https://www.motivxtools.com/pages/toyota-oil-filter-housing-and-wrench-guide

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Based on the number of AMAZON reviews (over 1,000), this cap wrench appears to be the most popular http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Specialty-Tools-TOY-640/dp/B0015PK3AG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1461048483&sr=8-10&keywords=toyota+oil+filter+wrench#customerReviews It's been troublefree for me so far. Some complained the cap gets stuck easily on the oil filter housing but I consider that an advantage because that way I will never lose the cap - it stays there stuck on the housing ready to be unscrewed the next time I need to change the cartridge filter.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Based on the number of AMAZON reviews (over 1,000), this cap wrench appears to be the most popular http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Specialty-Tools-TOY-640/dp/B0015PK3AG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1461048483&sr=8-10&keywords=toyota+oil+filter+wrench#customerReviews It's been troublefree for me so far. Some complained the cap gets stuck easily on the oil filter housing but I consider that an advantage because that way I will never lose the cap - it stays there stuck on the housing ready to be unscrewed the next time I need to change the cartridge filter.
One day I'll get our video footage of us destructive testing Toyota oil filter wrenches on a hydraulic load cell edited and posted up on YouTube. The Assenmacher brand did better than others strength-wise but we've got feedback from customers that have owned them (especially with the plastic oil filter caps) that have stripped the plastic and others that have a difficult time separating the wrench from the cap. That's the reason we don't use this design.

The reason that oil filter wrench has so many reviews on Amazon is that it's been on the market since 2007 so it's had a lot more time to collect reviews than most others. Our 2.5L - 5.7L model is the best selling Toyota oil filter wrench on all of Amazon and currently the #3 best selling product of all oil filter wrenches. We're happy to answer any questions about our products.
http://www.amazon.com/Engines-Cartridge-Housings-Motivx-Tools/dp/B00XTAGHU0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1461073600&sr=8-5&keywords=toyota+oil+filter+wrench

·
Registered
430 Posts
Looks good. I wonder if somebody on here has one of your oil filter wrench's and can report back to everyone here on their thoughts of it.
As far as I can tell, the one I have may be identical. Mine is blue, and is made by Kommen Tools (model KM202-T). It works great. The three notches on each side grab the flutes of the canister. I use a 1&1/16" socket instead of the center 3/8" drive hole, as I've read they can crack if you use it.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Looks good. I wonder if somebody on here has one of your oil filter wrench's and can report back to everyone here on their thoughts of it.
Own one of each, as well as the funnel and dran tool for the 2.5-5.7.
Have not had the opportunity to use them yet.

Very nicely made products. I've been wanting something like the funnel for years. It'll really help keep the engine clean since you don't have to handle the 5qt jug with one hand while steadying the funnel with the other. The included adapter for 1/4-turn oil caps is a nice touch.

The wrenches are heavy, smooth finish, and nicely anodized.

The drain tool is another nice piece of engineering.
It allows you to run it into the cap without releasing a flood of oil into your hand. Once attached, the 2nd fitting is screwed in to open the cap's release valve. Enough hose is provided to make it to your drain pan no matter where you might have it, or if you have the car on a lift/ramps.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY 640 Oil Filter Socket Wrench (2AR-FE 4 cyl Camry motor) has been around for years and has good reviews from at home do-it-yourselfers http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Specialty-Tools-TOY-640/dp/B0015PK3AG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1461048483&sr=8-10&keywords=toyota oil filter wrench&tag=viglink20304-20#customerReviews
See it in action here:
That said, the Motivx Tools filter wrench is likely superior and more durable for commercial oil change use or for owners that want the best available tool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As far as I can tell, the one I have may be identical. Mine is blue, and is made by Kommen Tools (model KM202-T). It works great. The three notches on each side grab the flutes of the canister. I use a 1&1/16" socket instead of the center 3/8" drive hole, as I've read they can crack if you use it.
The biggest difference is going to be that the Kommen brand oil filter wrench is cast instead of forged. If you take a look at the photos I've attached below, look closely at the outside. The Kommen brand wrench is smooth and ours has the inner hex pattern transferred all the way to the outside. If it's smooth, it's for sure made using a casting process. If it's got the hex pattern on the outside there's a better chance it's forged. After saying that, be aware many sellers (mostly Chinese companies) are copying our images and trying to cover up the logo. This is happening mostly on eBay right now. Chinese companies do not forge these because they're much more expensive to produce than the casting process.

This isn't to say that the cast wrenches aren't going to work, they just have a much higher failure rate. As denzyota said, don't use the 3/8" drive opening on a cast wrench, especially if you're removing it. That is a significant failure point on them. Truthfully you can use a 3/8" impact wrench on ours and probably have no issues, though we say not to on the packaging. Eventually the 3/8" opening will start becoming larger because the aluminum isn't as durable as steel.

The other difference between our Motivx wrench and the Kommen is the finish. I believe their finish is either painted or powder coated instead of anodized like ours.

·
2,436 Posts
Just as an update I got the motivx oil filter wrench from Amazon and used it this past weekend to change my oil. It is definitely a well made piece. I previously had the assenmacher one which was also good, but would constantly get stuck on the oil filter cap. I can easily say that the motivx one pops right off.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I previously had the assenmacher one which was also good, but would constantly get stuck on the oil filter cap. I can easily say that the motivx one pops right off.
But why would you want to remove the metal Assenmacher removal tool from the plastic oil filter cap to begin with? My Assenmacher has stayed secured to plastic oil filter cap of my 2015 Camry for the past year and a half, ready to be unscrewed at each oil change. So there's no need for me to hunt for the Assenmacher (or Motivx) each time I want to change the filter because it stays securely attached to the cap between oil changes. I'd say that's an advantage to the Motivx cap that slips off easily.

·
7,431 Posts
So you are wedging a tool on and leaving it there? Isn't it designed to be used then removed like a regular over the end filter wrench? I don't know genuinely asking.

cb91710 sounds like you have a problem I can help with. Not enough miles quick enough. I want to try out a Rav 4 with my Kayak on top getting into higher clearance areas on about a 1600 mile round trip. You get your miles, I get to see if it's what I want. Whadayya say :D haha.

·
2,436 Posts
But why would you want to remove the metal Assenmacher removal tool from the plastic oil filter cap to begin with? My Assenmacher has stayed secured to plastic oil filter cap of my 2015 Camry for the past year and a half, ready to be unscrewed at each oil change. So there's no need for me to hunt for the Assenmacher (or Motivx) each time I want to change the filter because it stays securely attached to the cap between oil changes. I'd say that's an advantage to the Motivx cap that slips off easily.

I'm not sure if that's a serious question or not. I would never leave something attached to my car that could fall off. What happens if it fell off while on the highway and hit the car behind you?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm not sure if that's a serious question or not. I would never leave something attached to my car that could fall off. What happens if it fell off while on the highway and hit the car behind you?
My Assenmacher has stayed secured to plastic oil filter cap of my 2015 Camry for the past year and a half, ready to be unscrewed at each oil change. Here's a simple silicone glue solution to guard against the possibility of the Assenmacher ever coming loose and falling off:

81 - 100 of 103 Posts
About this Discussion
102 Replies
33 Participants
verlaryder
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing