Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TOYOTA TOLD ME THAT IF I DID NOT USE A TOYOTA OIL FILTER IN MY O4 ROLLA IT WOULD MESS UP THE LUBRICATION SYSTEM? IS THE SALESMEN JUST FEEDING ME A LINE OF CRAP OR IS THERE SOME TRUTH TO IT? I GENERALY USE WIXS FILTERS IN ALL MY CARS:fruit: :fruit:

·
Druken Postwhore
AE92GTS
2,490 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't believe this! If you buy a good quality filter such as Ryco or Valvoline, they are just as good! They are made to equal or exceed the OEM specs! Of course the cheapies are crappy!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just remember, Toyota doesn't make the filters anyway. They get a Japanese or American manufacturer to make them for Toyota - paint them black and put the Toyota brand name on them. Why pay double the price for something that is just as good and out off the same factory!!!!

·
Druken Postwhore
AE92GTS
2,490 Posts
Haha, well you guys try using an after market oil filter for 5000 miles driving hard, than do the same with OEM filter 6000 miles driving hard..... the after market filter makes your Oil brown.... the OEM one still black.

experiment it, see which one is really good for you engine.....

·
pseudo-systematic
176 Posts
toyota's OE filter is made by nippondenso. just thought you would like to know.

·
Druken Postwhore
AE92GTS
2,490 Posts
^ actually, not anymore.... as of 2003, they are now made by Fram in the state.....cept better than the normal one they sell.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've cut open a valvoline filter and a toyota filter. The paper in the valvoline filter is thicker and denser than the toyota one and the interior contruction is superior. Don't know if you can get valvoline filters over there, but in Australia we do! Do ask me to fedex them over to you!:lol:

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Its not only how much the filter can filter. It also how fast oil can pass through the filter. Filter with too dense element will cause overload valve to open and bypass filtering all together.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wix filters are very good. You won't have an overloading problem or suffer from lack of filtering. 200K+ on the original motor and still running strong testifies to this.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Um.... Ichi, when I buy oil (I use castrol semi synth), it comes out of the bottle light brown. Wouldn't the oil being black mean that it's all contaminated and stuff? That said, I'd use the OEM filter if I could get my filter wrench on it. Last time I used an OEM unit, I couldn't get it off!

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can buy a special filter wrench attachment from Toyota. I bought it cos I burned my hand removing the filter on an older 2000 rolla I had. On that model the filter was straight under the exhaust manifold! OUCH!!! DOH!!

·
Druken Postwhore
AE92GTS
2,490 Posts
4Aaron GE said:
Um.... Ichi, when I buy oil (I use castrol semi synth), it comes out of the bottle light brown. Wouldn't the oil being black mean that it's all contaminated and stuff? That said, I'd use the OEM filter if I could get my filter wrench on it. Last time I used an OEM unit, I couldn't get it off!
The toyota filters are very tight once you hand tight it.....i do not know how, but once you turn on the engine, its almost impossible to loosen it by hand.

for taking off filters, theres a universal tool that'll take any oil filter off.....i call it the claw.... its black and has 2 "c" fins, that attaches to a 3/8 rachet. with that, you'll be able to take off any oil filter, cept its $17CDN for it tho....

sorry for not saying the proper terms, when i say Brown, it comes out "chocolaty" like not clear light brown, but like Chocolate brown...usually over use of oil makes that sorta colour...

when you start draining and notice white oil coming out, coolant and oil are pmixed togather....and that gonna be really dirty.

but like i said before, i've seen lots of after market oil filter with brown oil coming out more than OEM filters....not saying toyota filter never creates this colour, but OEM filter i believe does better job.

i;'ve had customer coming in for oil change after driving the car for 24000km..... that oil was chocolate brown.....and there was one that came after 15000km with a aftermarket oil filter......ptfffff forget brown, i call it sludge!!!!

i find Penzoil oil filter are pretty good compaired with other oil filters.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah I've seen the claw wrench. Looks ok. I didn't think the oil would be so diferent with a non OEM filter, but hey I'll take your work on it. I never let my car's oil go more than 10,000km and it always comes out pretty clean!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts