Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
1,611 Posts
There are as many opinions on oil and filters as there are people on this planet.

Castrol has made good oil for many years; Wix makes a good filter as well.

I use oil and filters that everyone on the bobtheoilguy forum swears will destroy an engine and still manage to get 300K - 400K out of a car.

Comparatively speaking, my car is eating hamburger; yours is eating steak.

Keep up the good work.

·
It Wasn't Me
11 Avalon Limited
673 Posts
I always grab the purolator filters from the farm and fleet store when they are onsale. They seem better made and look higher quality than the garbage fram makes.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Going over 5000 with ANY oil is a sure path to increased engine wear. There is no conspiracy to make you buy more oil. Even synthetic oil gets carbon it. That is the dirt in dirty oil. All cars have a certian percentage of blow-by which starts to contaminate the oil. Synthetics handle that better than petro. oils. The car makers do want you to go lots of miles between changes so they can sell more cars.

·
Registered
2006 Avalon XLS
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car's service light (oil change) just came on for the 5000 mile change. I'm currently running Castrol Syntec with a Bosch Premium filter. I think I'm going to stretch this and future oil changes out to 7500 miles. My assumption is OCI's with conventional oil is 5000 so synthetic oil should easily go 7500 or even 10000 before needing to be changed. I opted for 7500 because I read somewhere that our 3.5's are harder on the oil because of the timing chains possibly shearing the oil.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Currently running mobil1 0w30 synth as I am using it in both the avalon and my Tundra. Also running extended drain intervals, and sending oil samples to Blackstone. Currently on a 7500 mile interval in the avvy and 10k on the Tundra. Samples have come back good so far with oil additives still in good shape and doing their thing. Running toyota oil filters (got a deal on a case)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only way to really know if it is safe to extend your oil change interval is to send a sample in for testing.

I have sent samples in every so often for most all of my vehicles over the last 10 years just to make sure nothing major is going wrong with the engines.

I do not do it every oil change, but maybe every 3rd or 4th. it costs around $30 dollars but it is worth the peace of mind.

I bought a Toyota 4Runner a couple years ago, the factory OCI is 10k miles. I was skeptical, and did my oil changes at 5k until recently I decided to give the 10k a try just once and send the sample in for testing.

Results were basically, go ahead and do it, the TBN was still 4.4 so lots of additive remaining, no harmful contamination was found and the viscosity was right on the mark.

Now this was a 2012 4Runner with the 4.0 V6 running Toyota brand synthetic 0w20 oil and Purolator filter. At 60k to 70k miles on the clock.

I have not tested the Avalon yet, bought it used at 23k miles, changed the oil to synthetic 5w30 at 25k miles and will change it again at 30k miles. It is at 29k now.

I am still reluctant to actually do the 10k OCIs on the 4Runner, I think I will still do the 5k interval, but it is nice to know for sure that I can go 10k if I wanted to.

I use Blackstone Laboratories for the testing.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

·
Registered
2006 Avalon XLS
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told by a Napa rep that with Napa Synthetic Oil and the Napa Platinum filter 10000 OCI's would not be a problem. I was also told by Toyota service that they use Toyota Synthetic by Pennzoil and their filter with 10000 OCI's. I'm not sure about Napa Synthetic and a 10000 OCI.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use Toyota's OEM filter and six quarts of Mobil1 5W-30 for a cost of $33.47.

Costco discounts the oil a few times a year; limit of three cases for $26.99 per. I buy my limit at least once.

At a cost of $33.47, I'll change it every 5000 miles, even if I was out of warranty. Well, maybe. I get lab work on my oil every 20k miles, and will increase that as the car gets older. If the results say I can go longer than 5000 miles, I will.

Total maintenance cost in 41000 miles: $650, and that includes $70 for wipers and $270 for a new tire. grrrrrr

·
Registered
65 Posts
Castrol Edge , The Gold Bottle

Castrol edge is the absolute best True fully synthetic oil you can buy in my opinion. Royal purple is good, but more just a name. and AMSoil is pretty good too. But Castrol is what I have always used after seeing a MPG improvement driving to florida in my 2006 Saturn Ion I used to own. While prior using Mobil 1 all the time. If the engine has less friction, it will run better/smoother/ etc.

Hence slightly better mpg for the saturn. and no my driving habits didnt change. drove it like atleast 85 90 mph on cruise both trips

It is the only true Tear 4 Synthetic Oil. I got to learn discover this when I worked for a castrol franchise shop.

It is the one in the Gold Bottle not the standard syntec in the black bottle, and syntec with edge titanium is not the same one.

Its the Gold Bottle.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...google&utm_campaign=gpla&utm_content=99992220

Walmart has a great sell on this in the 5qt jug. The bottle even says this oil can run 15K miles.
Not that I would actually do that. The most i would put is maybe 8K.

I think

Fram tough guard filters are rated at 10k miles.

Wix is good stuff too. not sure of their mileage lasting though.

·
Registered
2006 Avalon XLS
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just changed oil this morning with 7500 miles on Castro Edge and a Bosch Premium filter. The oil still looked somewhat clear but the filter was starting to twist it seems and the end caps were loose/seperated from the media. I used Mobil 1 extended performance and From Ultra EG9972 filter for this oil change. 10000 miles on this set up should be sufficient and the metal mesh screen will hopefully keep the filter from twisting.

·
イリジウム
14,760 Posts
That's not a good sign. Twisted pleats in the filter mean it's plugging up. The filter's doing its job catching contaminants, but needs to be changed sooner.

See how the supposedly higher capacity Mobil-1 filter does, and if necessary use the almost non-filtering ;) Toyota filters - I think that's how these can last 10K. There were many reports over the years that various Toyota filters only filtered about 50% of the contaminants, but I don't know how true that is today.

I'd rather change more often than not with a higher efficiency filter if the car's a keeper.

Another alternative is to use the regular mass market higher efficiency filters you used, but change out ONLY the filter at 5000 miles. Then the oil should have no problem lasting 10,000 miles.

Just changed oil this morning with 7500 miles on Castro Edge and a Bosch Premium filter. The oil still looked somewhat clear but the filter was starting to twist it seems and the end caps were loose/seperated from the media.http://www.autoguide.com/mobile

·
ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
09 Avalon XL
820 Posts
I still go 3000 miles with dinosaur oil and standard Valvoline (Champ) filters.

In the winter sometimes I stretch it to 4000 miles since I change the oil in my driveway.

When oil change intervals are stretched out past 5000 miles, other things are being neglected also.

Tires lose air, fluid levels drop, etc.

I can't find my soapbox, but you get the idea.

Reactions: LTD1

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welll...

Well, if the only time that maintenance is done to the car is when is goes to the shop for an oil change, that may be neglect also.

Everyone man and woman and teenager if driving a vehicle in my opinion should be able to do the following

Observe tire wear, pump gas, check tire pressure, use an air hose to fill tire pressure of needed at a gas station or take it to a shop after they check to see its low.READ THE OWNERS MANUAL, know how to change a tire to a spare if possible, and be able to listen and feel your vehicle you drive everyday and the one you may have in the garage to notice if anything sounds or feels different.

People not being aware of their own vehicles issues such as something as simple as tire pressure being low. This can be even a deadly factor. If your tires are too low on air you vehicle becomes swirly so to speak and handling is very poor ecspecially in wet conditions which can lead to a major accident. I have seen this happen.

Personally I think that Police should worry more about tire tread and vehicle safety minimums more than speeding tickets ,because if they speed with good tires and sound vehicle ,there may be a chance an accident from speed wont happen, ofcourse this falls on the driver. However I see cars all the time that people neglect and they drive around with kids in the car and endanger all of their lives in the vehicle and everyone else on the road around them.

Hence-- 2007 Honda Odyssey Van, lady had brakes nearly metal to metal all the way around and tires 3 of 4 showing steel, and she is about to taker her family to Florida from Georgia, after being told she declined and said her money is for the trip and gas. That stuff would wait. I said i'll pray for you.

TPMS sensors activate after 25% or more air is lost, in some cases this could be too late.

Good Day

God Bless

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.