Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
89 Corolla
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone experienced this:
I step on accel pedal on a third gear (to the floor) then suddenly the engine stops. I start it again and will not start. Battery is good and everything. I decided to check on my sparkplug and boy, when I pulled my No. 1 plug, oil drips from it, the electrode is full of oil . The rest of the plugs are just fine, no sign of oil. I manage to start my engine only after replaced the plug. I dont know what caused this problem, has anyone have an idea??? :(

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
maybe a broken valve, headgasket or similar... you gotta pull off the head to see whats wrong.

·
Registered
190 Posts
headgasket probably
could be valve cover grommet also
same problems happened to my '77
changed the headegasket and i solved the problems

·
Registered
89 Corolla
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can oil leak be fixed by any stop oil leak stuff?

·
Registered
'81 Corolla wagon
77 Posts
I didn't see a year on the car with this problem, but exactly this happened on my '81 Corolla two years back. Plug #1 dripping in oil, others almost clean. Lousy gas mileage. Oddly enough, if I recall correctly, oil was on top of the spark plug too (!?). I never did get a direct explanation of what happened but it took a $50 "diaphragm repair kit" and about an hour's labor for them to deal with it. It wasn't a carburettor rebuild.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If your problem isn't in the head, you may be getting excessive blow-by from a cracked/broken piston or worn/broken piston rings. Do a compression test, that should tell you what's going on without having to take anything apart.

-phreak

·
Registered
312 Posts
THIS IS PROBABLY A SIMPLE REPAIR , THERE MAY BE NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PISTONS OR THE HEAD, SO RELAX,, IS THE OIL ON THE TOP OF THE PLUG (PORCELAIN) AND AT THE END OF THE PLUG WIRE? WHICH MODEL AND ENGINE IT IS??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't consider ANY instance where oil is penetrating into the combustion chamber a "simple repair". I also can't see how you can say it's a "simple repair" when you clearly don't know what's wrong because you don't know what model/engine he has.

And yes, fix your capslock key. It's only 7/16 of an inch from the letter "a".

-phreak

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thats good, I am ase and toyota master tech for 15 yrs, you got to keep in mind the people asking for help, usually are not very mechanically inclined. If he has a leaking spark tube or the seal on the inside of the valve ( which seals the tube) is leaking,, it causes the sparkplug to get externally oil coated, then when you remove it, the oil runs onto the plug, making it appear to be worse than it is..

Just trying to get the facts first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
deekay140 said:
Thats good, I am ase and toyota master tech for 15 yrs, you got to keep in mind the people asking for help, usually are not very mechanically inclined. If he has a leaking spark tube or the seal on the inside of the valve ( which seals the tube) is leaking,, it causes the sparkplug to get externally oil coated, then when you remove it, the oil runs onto the plug, making it appear to be worse than it is..

Just trying to get the facts first.
Agreed, I simply stated (if you read my post) that IF the problem doesn't lie in the head that it's probably blow-by. A compression test will let him know much more info. as to the condition of bothe the piston AND the head. It's a useful information-gathering tool.

-phreak

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
It could...
Could be that the plug got stuffed with oil and couldnt fire, but the car should idle more/less with 3 cyls.

·
Registered
89 Corolla
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys, thanks so much for the information. Yes, I am not mechanically inclined but trying to be one. Owning a car means you should not know how to drive it but know how to fix minor stuff. Getting back on my plugs..... I get oil internally only, there's a very little sign of oil externally specially on the part of the plug wires. The external part of the plugs has no oil. Oil is present in the combustion chamber of my #1 plug. I dont know if high engine revs pushes oil into the combustion chamber but I know this is not normal. Im hoping that my situation is not worst.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts