Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to change my spark plugs today and noticed in two of the wells there was some oil in them. i also noticed on all of the spark plugs there was a buildup of a white powder like substance should i be worried? are there some seals to replace?

·
Read lots, post little
2001 SXV20R Touring
71 Posts
not good buddy, im a bit of a newbie, but even in a good scenario, unless you recently spilt some oil in there yourself (unlikely lol) you are probably looking at new piston rings at the very least... Someone with a bit more wisdom got anything to say?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there not a rubber gasket at the top where the large nuts hold the valve cover on? i dont think im burning oil, there is no smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

·
Read lots, post little
2001 SXV20R Touring
71 Posts
wait, are you saying the oil is sitting on top of the spark plugs themselves?

·
Proud Camry owner.
1993 Toyota Camry
189 Posts
It's not a huge problem. Mine does it too in one of the wells. Doesn't cause any problems right now.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I just had that problem recently in one of the wells. Turns out the valve cover nuts wasn't properly torqued down to specs.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
if there is white build up, it means that your motor's running hot (lean)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,672 Posts
Part number fer the spark plug tube seals is 90480-30025. You'll need 4 of them.

From ToyotaPartSales.com...

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
9048030025 $4.37 $0.00 $3.16

GROMMET

·
92 Camry 5S-FE
92 Camry 5S-FE
485 Posts
You dont have to worry about it right away. The oil will only get into the cylinders from there when you take the plugs out, which shouldn't be very often. Mine do this a little too and I just don't worry about it. If you do the tube seals, you'll be doing a valve cover gasket change as well. It isn't hard work, but it isn't really necessary either unless you've got a lot of oil building up in there.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,891 Posts
this white buildup you are mentioning, is it on the electrode side of the spark plug that is in the motor, or the plug wire side that is on the outside? electrode side is the engine is running lean like eye8 mentioned. if its were the boot and wire connect, then its probably dried up dielectric grease or corrosion residue from moisture or from the seeping oil heating up.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I just had that problem recently in one of the wells. Turns out the valve cover nuts wasn't properly torqued down to specs.
Hit the nail on the head. Make sure the valve(aka rocker) cover is snug. Mine loosened up over the years. Since I pulled it off to inspect for sludge, I replaced the seals and gasket. Its a simple r&r.

I wouldn't worry about a little white buildup on the plugs if the vehicle is running well and maintained. Just replace them.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
To stop the oil from getting down in to the spark plug tubes, tighten the valve cover nuts to 17 ft lbs in 3 even passes. You will need a 30MM socket to do this. You rarely need to replace the rubber seals under the nuts.

Mike

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
check to make sure that your spark plugs are gapped properly- though, usually if they are gapped too wide, you won't run lean, but you'll run rich and misfire as the spark isn't strong enough to jump the widened gap

I would test your o2 sensors to make sure they are functioning properly and also clean your maf/map sensor

·
Registered
994 Posts
looks like you are running really hot or lean, or using a lot of gas additives.

also whats the gap on that, half an inch? sheesh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts