Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh well. two weeks ago I bought a used 96 camry. Rides like a dream. However, sometimes the scent of burning oil can be smelled coming through the airvents. After a few weeks of this, I decided to open the hood and have a look

I saw some moisture accumulating on the frame, under the RH driveshaft. Also saw some moisture accumulating on the plastic guard under the RH radiator fan (near oil dipstick guide to transaxle)

I put the car on a ramp and looked under it. I see no visible leaks round the oil pan. The bottom bolts connecting the LH exhaust manifold was wet.

So my guess is, the o-ring for the oil dipstick guide to transaxle need changing for one. And the LH Cylinder head gasket or the LH Cylinder head cover gasket needs replacing.

I saw a lot of Stop Oil leak products on the shelf at Autozone. Since I only lost a half a quart over 2 weeks, I was wondering if I could use one of those products and save myself the trouble of labor/part costs.

·
deviate from the absolute
92 toyota camry
4,910 Posts
shimpi said:
Oh well. two weeks ago I bought a used 96 camry. Rides like a dream. However, sometimes the scent of burning oil can be smelled coming through the airvents. After a few weeks of this, I decided to open the hood and have a look

I saw some moisture accumulating on the frame, under the RH driveshaft. Also saw some moisture accumulating on the plastic guard under the RH radiator fan (near oil dipstick guide to transaxle)

I put the car on a ramp and looked under it. I see no visible leaks round the oil pan. The bottom bolts connecting the LH exhaust manifold was wet.

So my guess is, the o-ring for the oil dipstick guide to transaxle need changing for one. And the LH Cylinder head gasket or the LH Cylinder head cover gasket needs replacing.

I saw a lot of Stop Oil leak products on the shelf at Autozone. Since I only lost a half a quart over 2 weeks, I was wondering if I could use one of those products and save myself the trouble of labor/part costs.
avoid the stop leak treatments...they'll slow down the inevitable.....the seals need to be replaced.....better move in the long run...better results too

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
Knailgun said:
avoid the stop leak treatments...they'll slow down the inevitable.....the seals need to be replaced.....better move in the long run...better results too

Agree! Just check the oil more often, and save up to get the seals, gaskets replaced!

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
Check the pcv valves too, it may be time to replace both :)

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
start at the top and work your way down. The 1MZ is known for leaking valve cover gaskets after some mileage. MIne is doing it now and only has 81k miles on it.

You may try cleaning the engine real good and drive it for a week or so and then check again. Once you ahve it cleaned off real good you will be able to see better where the oil might be coming from

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 1993 XLE V6 has been leaking oil for the past 100 000 miles. I am just to chep to fix it (also have 2 more cars) every sunday I add almost a quart and the baby is getting close to a 200 000 miles mark like this. :)

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Cyorke said:
start at the top and work your way down. The 1MZ is known for leaking valve cover gaskets after some mileage. MIne is doing it now and only has 81k miles on it.

You may try cleaning the engine real good and drive it for a week or so and then check again. Once you ahve it cleaned off real good you will be able to see better where the oil might be coming from
Another thing you might try after you clean the engine real good (as mentioned in the above quote by Cyorke) is to get you a can of jock itch spray (I use Cruex) and spray some around the valve cover gasket area. The spray goes on as a white powder. After driving the car a few miles, look at the area you sprayed. If you see the white spray powder turning brown, you've just found your leak.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just spoke to a toyota dealership mechanic on the phone. Good news is, he believes its the valve cover gaskets because that is the only gasket above the exhaust manifold where oil can leak down over the exhaust manifold bolts. The cylinder head gaskets is below the exhaust manifold bolts, so it is unlikely the leak is coming from there.

Bad news, it costs around $500 or $600 to get them replaced at the dealership. Before I go that route, I'll do the oil stop leak solution first for the hell of it (only cost 4 bucks). If that doesn't work (and it probably won't), I'll just have the valve cover gasket changed at my next oil change.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Call around to get some prices from other places before paying that much for valve cover gaskets. That sounds a like a raping to me. The gaskets cant cost more than 30 or 40 bucks and then they are going to charge you over 400 for labor. How much is their labor rate per hour. That is jsut outrageous.

·
Registered
567 Posts
dario said:
My 1993 XLE V6 has been leaking oil for the past 100 000 miles. I am just to chep to fix it (also have 2 more cars) every sunday I add almost a quart and the baby is getting close to a 200 000 miles mark like this. :)
Lets see you have drove the car 100k miles leaking oil. At 20k a year that is 5 years. 5x52=260 qts. At 2.00 a quart that is 520.00 plus enviromental damage. Gotta love that logic!

Gary

·
Registered
149 Posts
Gary_602Z said:
Lets see you have drove the car 100k miles leaking oil. At 20k a year that is 5 years. 5x52=260 qts. At 2.00 a quart that is 520.00 plus enviromental damage. Gotta love that logic!

Gary
I don't even pay more than a dollar per quart. Maybe I did over do it because I put a quart per month. That means 12 quarts per year = $12 I think I can afford that over $1000 work on a 1993 XLE V6 that is even not worth that much (the whole car).

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
Don't Recomend the Additive

All,
After working at AAmco trans for 5 years i saw many different things put in engines and trannies to stop leaks. Most of these products use a chemical to swell the seals. Do they care what seals are leaking? Nope.

Although they may work initially, be warned that they can have lasting effects. For example the crank seals which are fine know may start leaking later. Any neoprene seal may swell and fail later.

My vote: Don't do the cheap fix, it will bite you later.

/randy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts