Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 91 camry 3sfe has got a fairly substatial oil leak/burning. I go through over a quart every 1000miles

I need a temperary solution to slow at least the leak untill october. this is when im replacing the engine, but it wont be here until october.:(

I believe the leak is the rear main seal, and the smoke is from the valve seals,

Is there anything that will fix/help this for about a month? im tired of scrubing my driveway to clean up oil drops

·
Registered
445 Posts
I know theres this stuff sold by lucas, some kind of oil treatment thats supposed to help w/minor oil leaks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
DO NOT TRY AN HEAVIER OIL UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR A FACT THAT YOUR CAR CAN MAINTAIN IT.

if your using regular oil types like 5w-20 .. you can always upgrade one level up. that way, oil is thicker which may help prevent leaking thru that small little hole/spot. but that really isnt going to solve your problem, your gonna need a temporary "fix" til october. i suggest not driving the car so much and rely on ur friends/family or even rent a car? thats if you really care about ur camry though

·
pseudo-systematic
176 Posts
there is some stuff called Restore that will help with the leaks and oil burning. it works very well. most auto parts stores have it.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Until October? Just keep driving it normally. I think it'll survive till then without trying anything.

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
i put some shell 10W30 and mobil 10W30 and that stopped the burning for the most part.

Some things I picked up (my O-ring around the oil pump is what's leaking):
1) Don't high rev/bark your engine
2) Don't run A/C a lot
3) On hot or humid days, don't push your engine hard
4) Park on inclines or on the street near the curb - that minimizes leaks sometimes
5) Keep extra oil in your trunk, and if your engine isn't responding well, when it cools off (after you shut it down), check the oil and refill.

I've been fine with it burning oil since January. Never close to engine seizure or overheating since I've been doing this. Also, replace the filter.

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
ive been running straight 30w oil for a while now in my celica...of course, it has new bearings and seals in the bottom end. it burns like mad though

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
if your worried about your driveway put a piece of cardboard under your car. as for the leaking use 20w 50 and you should be fine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts