Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 developed a pretty substantial leak after I did the last oil change. I thought it was from the filter, but after changing the filter, making sure there were no old gasket remains, and wiping the area clear, the oil seems to be coming from the neck which the filter screws into. This is not a part of the block... it's a different kind of metal. Does anyone have experience with this and know how to remove/replace it, or alternatively, what a shop would charge? Thanks.

BTW... I have no idea why this developed at the last oil change. I do not put my filters on tightly at all and always lubricate the gasket, although I did have to use a wrench to get the last one off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the right filter. I tried two different filters (same size) just to make sure. It's not leaking from the filter or gasket... it's about an inch below that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like the oil cooler gasket, if it's a 4 cyl engine like mine. Very easy to replace, just need a 30mm socket from Sears and a Oil Cooler Gasket Set from the Toyota Dealer for $5 to $10. The Oil Cooler Gasket set seems to only be available at the dealer and at local auto stores. Here is a link to thread that discusses how to do procedure:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t51844.html

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I believe there is an o-ring seal behind the area where the filter attaches. It goes between the filter attaching area and the block. Download the generation 4 manual stickied at the top of the General Camry Forum and look at the section under lubrication. It should have a diagram of that area.

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh, BTW, the oil cooler is the metal part that the Oil Filter screws on top of and has two coolant lines hooked into it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts