Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
My camry 95, 2.2 l, AT, has a small oil leak (about 0.4 liter/ 5000 km). It looks like it could be leaking at the back of the valve cover, or either the camshaft or crankshaft seal. In case is either the camshaft or crankshaft at seal, is there any problem to wait until next time belt replacement (in about 50K km more). Thanks.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
burchard said:
My camry 95, 2.2 l, AT, has a small oil leak (about 0.4 liter/ 5000 km). It looks like it could be leaking at the back of the valve cover, or either the camshaft or crankshaft seal.
Where is it mostly leaking from?

If the valve cover is leaking, you'll see oil deposits around the valve cover and where it meets the head.

Camshaft seal is on the left side of the engine behind a cover.

Crankshaft seal (front/rear main seal) is on the lower half of the engine (block).

If the front main seal is leaking you might see oil dripping from the left side of the engine. It'll be dripping out from the bottom of the engine where the lower timing belt cover is.

If its the rear main seal, you'll see oil on the bottom where the block mates with the tranny.

In case is either the camshaft or crankshaft at seal, is there any problem to wait until next time belt replacement (in about 50K km more).
If the camshaft seal or front main seal is leaking, I'd get it fixed asap.

Oil dripping onto the timing belt is not good.

You can check it out by removing the upper and lower timing belt cover.

·
Registered
49 Posts
if you plan on waiting keep an eye on your oil level. my rear main seal started leaking, and i lost a lot of oil quick.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way you describe it, sounds like is the crankshaft front seal. To remove the upper or lower timing belt cover, do I need to remove the alternators and other belts?
Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 88. I cleanned the lower belt cover, and it looks like it is leaking fron that area. I also have some leaking on the left back side of the valve cover. The cam and crankshaft seals were replaced less tha 2 years ago when the timing belt was changed. that's why I thend to think that the leaking might be comming from other spot different from the seals. During the week end I'll inspect the area in more detail.
Thanks again for the picture

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious, why would it be bad to have a bit of oil leaking from the camshaft seal and contaminating the timing belt?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I tried to get the distributor off to change the O ring. The screws were so tighted und rusted that I back up. The oil leak is so small that I decided to try a "stop oil leakings" product. I added it to the oil and it did the trick. Anybody has any idea what is in these products or why they stop leakings? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know Lucas products are good for stopping oil leaks (though there's nothing better than fixing the problem itself). If it was a power steering rack you have leaking, I'd say suck out what's in the reservoir and replace with Lucas p/s additive.

I know they make an engine additive which stops oil burning, and lessens/stops leaks in general. Just thought I'd bring it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts