Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car leaks like crazy. Every morning I see a small pool of oil and when I go to change my oil every time they tell me I'm low. I have tried using the additive to stop oil leak that didn't help. What is involved in fixing this can I do it myself or should I take it to a shop. How much would this cost.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
depending on your mechanical aptitude you may be able to fix it. The most common oil leaks on pretty much any camry is the valve cover gasket, which is fairly easy to replace on the 4 cylinder. Then the other major area is the front seals behind the timing belt. This would include the cam, crank, and oil pump seals. These a re a little more difficult to replace but not terrible. It invovles removing the timing belt and all associated parts. There is a really good thread from a couple of days ago with pictures and all. One other problem area is the oil cooler that the oil filter screws onto. There are two o-rings on the mounting surface to the engine block and it is pretty common for them to leak. Again this is not extremely hard to do but need a large sized socket to fit the bolt that holds it on. I cant rememerb what size off the top of my head waht size it is though. I am sure someone will chime in with it.

S like I said it jsut depends on how mechanically inclined you are or how much money you ahve to spend to fix it.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,370 Posts
personally, I'd say that it's leaking from somewhere other than the valve cover gasket.....that's usually a small hardly noticeable leak

if you're leaking to the point where you become low on oil, then it's something bigger

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RningOnFumes said:
did they tell you where you're losing oil?
No they did not.

RningOnFumes said:
how long has this been going on?
Its been 2 oil changes, before which the leak was existant but not not prominent.

RningOnFumes said:
what type of oil?...ie syn or dino....weights?
I use regular oil, should I switch to synthetic (I'm at 225K) I'm not sure about the weights it differes depending on where I change my oil (10w 30 or something).

I don't think I'm skilled enough to do this on myself. I'll take it to some mechanic. Can anyone give me a rough estimate as to how much this thing would cost? I dont want the mechanic ripping me off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cyorke said:
depending on your mechanical aptitude you may be able to fix it. The most common oil leaks on pretty much any camry is the valve cover gasket, which is fairly easy to replace on the 4 cylinder. Then the other major area is the front seals behind the timing belt. This would include the cam, crank, and oil pump seals. These a re a little more difficult to replace but not terrible. It invovles removing the timing belt and all associated parts. There is a really good thread from a couple of days ago with pictures and all. One other problem area is the oil cooler that the oil filter screws onto. There are two o-rings on the mounting surface to the engine block and it is pretty common for them to leak. Again this is not extremely hard to do but need a large sized socket to fit the bolt that holds it on. I cant rememerb what size off the top of my head waht size it is though. I am sure someone will chime in with it.

S like I said it jsut depends on how mechanically inclined you are or how much money you ahve to spend to fix it.
Its raining outside so I was not able to get under my car, but looks like it leaks from the front of the engine close to the radiotor some place.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
if it is coming from the front of the engine then it is most likely the oil cooler. What you can do is when it stops raining get some brake cleaner and spray the area around your oil filter down until it is as clean as possible. Drive it for a coupe of days and chek that area again after driving it. That can help you determine if it is coming from that area. IF it is and you ahve it repaired I cant see it being more than 100 dollars. IT takes about 30 minutes at the most to take the cooler off and replace the o-rings. The o-rings shouldnt cost more than 10 or 15 bucks I wouldnt think.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Another common place to check for oil leaks is the o-ring on the shaft of the distributor. It's also one of the easiest and cheapest to repair. Like cyorke said, use brake cleaner to clean that area too and see if fresh oil returns there.

Mike

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
oh yeah forgot about that one. Like Mike said it is very easy and inexpensive to repair. Pretty much all you need is a screw driver or pick to reove the oring and a 12 mm wrench.

·
Ninja-rator
4,263 Posts
no, no switching oil types before solving your problem. try what cyorke and mikegerber suggest.

with your older engine, syn is good, but if you don't solve your problem first... others might arise from from just switching oil... then the new problem will get mixed with the old...well...nothing will get fixed.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Kid, you need to give us more information about the nature and location of the leak. These guys have just listed every seal and orifice on your engine. When you get a chance get under the engine. If it's leaking as bad as you say you will be able to see the leak when then engine is running (use jackstands). This will make things a whole lot clearer. If its really hard to find go to the parts store and buys a flourescent dye kit (about $30) and add the dye to your oil. This will show you all your leaks and where the really big one is.
You want to care of this soon if you can. Oil is the lifeblood of your engine and when its gone (or too low) your engine is toast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.