Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
It looks like I have a valve cover gasket leak. I got a gasket but before that I figured I should replace pcv valve, sure enough it was stuck open. Is this likely to fix my oil leak or should I plan to continue to replace valve cover gasket.
Also, I'm getting p0442 (w trac and vsc lights) and already replaced the gas cap. I haven't found any cracked hoses, yet. it's is this likely to fix this too?
thanks!

· Premium Member
2,548 Posts
An open PCV valve does not cause a pressure buildup that will force oil past the seals and gaskets. Eventually the valve cover gaskets will seep oil. Quite common. You will need to replace the gaskets. There are a couple of good recent threads in this forum.
You should already have the new part number valve covers so sludge buildup is less of an issue, but if oil changes went too long there might be some sludge to clean out of the baffles.

· Registered
201 Posts
Hello,
It looks like I have a valve cover gasket leak. I got a gasket but before that I figured I should replace pcv valve, sure enough it was stuck open. Is this likely to fix my oil leak or should I plan to continue to replace valve cover gasket.
Also, I'm getting p0442 (w trac and vsc lights) and already replaced the gas cap. I haven't found any cracked hoses, yet. it's is this likely to fix this too?
thanks!
No, replacing the PCV may have an effect on oil consumption if it's stuck but replacing it (or you can clean it by spraying brake cleaner in it) will not fix a leaky valve cover gasket. I suggest a silicone gasket and torque to factory specs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.