Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I’ve been having an oil leak that seems to be near/behind the power steering pump. I’m not sure if the pump itself has any motor oil passing through it, and my PS fluid hasn’t changed, but my car is losing about a quart of oil per week. I also haven’t experienced any problems with the power steering. I recently replaced the Timing Chain Tensioner, but I did notice some oil from underneath the bottom of it after I cleaner the engine and ram the car while looking for the leak underneath. Maybe I didn’t tighten it enough? Could this be an issue with the pump itself, or maybe a seal where the pulley is inserted?

Edit: I took a photo of the timing chain tensioner and it seems like that may be the cause of the leak. Could it be possible I didn’t install it correctly, or it’s just a bad part from AutoZone? Or could it be something else?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
The cam chain tensioner is where these cars will eventually leak oil. You need to change the O ring and usually an OEM one works best. The valve cover and the timing chain cover are another source of oil leaks. Try to clean up the mess and check again after driving a bit to try and narrow down where it's coming from.
Good luck....

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
15,427 Posts
I would check around the perimeter of the timing chain cover to see if there’s wet oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would check around the perimeter of the timing chain cover to see if there’s wet oil.
I took another photo of the timing chain tensioner cover and found some oil leaking from the bottom screw. I’m going to try and tighten it down a little more when the engine cools down a little and see if that works. I recently replaced this part with one from Autozone. I hope that fixes it.
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design

·
Registered
720 Posts
Aftermarket tensioners and O rings dont seem to seal well. Why did you replace the original tensioner? They rarely fail. When mine leaked I removed it, changed the O ring from Toyota and even used some silicone gasket maker on the flange. No more leak.
PS. Dont go very tight on those nuts, you dont want a broken stud to deal with. 😀

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aftermarket tensioners and O rings dont seem to seal well. Why did you replace the original tensioner? They rarely fail. When mine leaked I removed it, changed the O ring from Toyota and even used some silicone gasket maker on the flange. No more leak.
PS. Dont go very tight on those nuts, you dont want a broken stud to deal with. 😀
oh Fuck me that just happened 🤬 I changed it cuz I had noticed some oil spots on the back of the engine. I also changed the VC gasket.

but now I done fucked up and snapped the bolt and I’m at a total loss of how to fix that. And of course it’s leaking oil, not just dripping.

many advice how to fix the broken stud?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well, those nuts take very little torque as you found out. If you remove your tensioner again, you may be able to use vice grips on the remaining piece of stud and turn it out. Otherwise you will have to drill a hole and use an easy out.
Good luck

·
Registered
2011 Prius
127 Posts
oh Fuck me that just happened 🤬 I changed it cuz I had noticed some oil spots on the back of the engine. I also changed the VC gasket.

but now I done fucked up and snapped the bolt and I’m at a total loss of how to fix that. And of course it’s leaking oil, not just dripping.

many advice how to fix the broken stud? View attachment 364836
Set the engine to TDC, remove the tensioner and see if you can remove the stud using a small pair of vise grips.

Your leak is probably coming from the cyl head to timing cover t-joint. I recently bought a 05 Corolla with the same issue. Here's my thread on how-to repair it:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I gave up an being adventurous... and taking chances,, I would call some shops and see which one might be the right one to remove and replace the stud. One wrong move and things can get worse... IMHO

·
Registered
2002 Camry
21 Posts
That is one of life’s lessons about using too much power. As you age and have more experiences with this curse of younger men it will be easier to avoid such problems. Ask me how I know this. 🙃

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
15,427 Posts

many advice how to fix the broken stud? View attachment 364836
I agree. You should have some threads exposed to remove the broken bolt.

if not, then you’ll need to drill the center of the stud and thread it so you can put another bolt to extract it. Or use extractors. Short of welding a nut.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone! Definitely a learned life lesson 😂 still learning a lot about my car and it seems like it might be time to invest in a torque wrench ::duh::

I got a replacement stud from the dealership and I’m going to try and see if I can get the broken one out. It’s just such a tight space I doubt I’d be able to get a drill in there so if I can’t get it out, I’ll be taking it to a professional. Probably going to have to anyways if the leak is really coming from the timing chain cover. I looked over the DIY that The Critic shared but that honestly seems like it might be out of my comfort zone (especially the part where he says to reassemble within 15 minutes of placing the FIPG). But keeping my fingers crossed that it’s just the timing chain tensioner lol

thanks again everyone for all the advice and I’ll keep you posted on the progress

·
Registered
2011 Prius
127 Posts
I looked over the DIY that The Critic shared but that honestly seems like it might be out of my comfort zone (especially the part where he says to reassemble within 15 minutes of placing the FIPG).
I have stretched it to 30 mins without any issues. Just make sure the cover itself is on the car by the 15 min mark and start running down the bolts. Honestly, the hardest part of the job is removing the p/s pump.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts