Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Quasi-Evil Monkey
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Well, I've had my car up and running for awhile now, and other than the title of the post, I'm really enjoying the Camry.

Here's my problem: I've noticed that after I changed my oil pan leak (the pan was so warped it wasn't funny, put another one on it, voila, no oil pan leak), I was still getting a spot of oil on my driveway when I'd come home. This weekend, I started it up and just let it sit there and idle for about 20 minutes.

No leak.

Then I got it and revved it up to about 2000 rpms for about a minute or so, then got out and noticed it dripping a little under the car.

Now here's where I'm confused. Before I put the engine in, I made sure I put in a new rear main seal. From what I understand, a reason that I can be having a leak such as I do could be increased crankcase pressure, right? Well, I went ahead and replaced my pcv valve and cleaned out the hoses coming from the valve cover/pcv valve, and went ahead and did a compression test since the engine was warm.

My compression pressures were on the average about 160 psi across all four cylinders, with the highest only about 10-12 psi from the lowest. So, I would think that could rule out blow-by.

Is there anything else I can check? The leak is enough to worry me, and I really can't afford to take it to a shop but really don't have the time to pull the engine out again at this time. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Yes, clean the engine. Why guess when you might be able to see where the oil is leaking from. If you use a water hose, watch where you apply the water. There have be many posts about owners cleaning their engine this way, then having a difficult time starting it.

·
Quasi-Evil Monkey
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pressure-washed the engine before I started checking it out. It looks like its coming from the rear of the engine, like it could be the rear main seal. I removed the inspecton plate and saw what look to be a couple of drops of oil on the space between the crankshaft and flexplate. It's where I suspected the leak was coming from, but why is it only leaking when I accelerate, not @ idle?

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
When you accelerate, the crankcase pressure increases, engine oil is also being thrown around a lot more. Is the PCV system OK?

·
Quasi-Evil Monkey
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
toyomoho said:
When you accelerate, the crankcase pressure increases, engine oil is also being thrown around a lot more. Is the PCV system OK?
Well, I replaced the pcv valve, cleaned the hoses coming from it and the valve cover to the throttle body, and cleaned out the area that the pcv valve hose goes into the intake. I've never really had to diagnose crankcase pressure problems, so I'm just trying the usual things, compression, oil level, etc. Is there anything else I can do to test the pcv system?

·
Registered
1 Posts
depending on how long it took to do all the work, the crankshaft seal may not fully recover. It could have become brittle/crumbly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts