Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had recently brought my 94 4x4 pickup with a 22re engine to the mechanic to have new gaskets, new head, timing chain, timing chain cover, and water pump installed because of a enternal coolant leak caused by chain tensionors breaking. My truck has 210,000 miles on it and not until i found coolant in the oil my truck ran great. Now that i have gotten my truck back it runs very bad and when i drive on the highway it will dump oil from which looks like front of engine. My mechanic can not find where it is coming from or why truck runs bad. I am wondering if a oil leak could cause it to run bad. my truck sounds like it has an exhaust leak but sounds like it is coming from rear of the head on the intake side. can oil leak from the head gasket? I am sick of bring my truck back to the mechanic. i have brought it back 3 times for same oil leak and it still leaks. Ive already spent enough to buy a new engine and seems i will still have to.I am either going to tear my engine apart my self or have another mechanic do it and bill my other mechanic. :sosad:

·
Registered
89 p'up
849 Posts
I had recently brought my 94 4x4 pickup with a 22re engine to the mechanic to have new gaskets, new head, timing chain, timing chain cover, and water pump installed because of a enternal coolant leak caused by chain tensionors breaking. My truck has 210,000 miles on it and not until i found coolant in the oil my truck ran great. Now that i have gotten my truck back it runs very bad and when i drive on the highway it will dump oil from which looks like front of engine. My mechanic can not find where it is coming from or why truck runs bad. I am wondering if a oil leak could cause it to run bad. my truck sounds like it has an exhaust leak but sounds like it is coming from rear of the head on the intake side. can oil leak from the head gasket? I am sick of bring my truck back to the mechanic. i have brought it back 3 times for same oil leak and it still leaks. Ive already spent enough to buy a new engine and seems i will still have to.I am either going to tear my engine apart my self or have another mechanic do it and bill my other mechanic. :sosad:
No, I don't think the oil leak has anything to do with the engine running poorly. IMO that's incorrect ignition and/or cam timing. We're assuming you have good compression of course.

The noisy intake manifold means there is poor mixture, and most likely an intake leak. Where, i don't know. That will contribute to poor performance too.

Yes, when the mechanic replaced the timing cover, this is likely where the oil is coming from. The head, engine block, and timing cover all meet in one place, and it's very easy to kill the head gasket in that location, without effecting the compression or water/oil seal. What happens is the gap between the head and the timing cover leaks oil, so it's only a 'splash' leak, and generally leaks directly DOWN behind the fan to the crank pulley, then down to the oil pan. It's difficult to see, but if you look straight down from the valve cover to behind the powersteering bracket, you'll see a little pool of oil= the timing cover needs to come off and sealant applied, then the timing cover replaced again. That's also assuming the timing cover actually matches the deck height of the block. ;) If the block was machined, the timing cover may need it also. :)

OR

the oil leak could be from the oil pump o ring. it will START the leak directly behind the crank pulley then.

OR

the oil leak could be the junction between the oil pan, timing cover and block. If he tried to cheat and not pull the oil pan, thats another place to look.

There, now crawl around and you'll see the start, and now know what the fix involves.

:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.