Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2007 Titanium Camry SE V6
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my '07 6 cylinder's oil level the other day and was concerned that it was quite a bit higher than the top dot on the dipstick. I had changed the oil about 8000 miles ago with mobil1. I drained about 1 qt and the level was now between the dots on the dipstick. I went ahead and did another oil change today with mobil1. The amount of oil removed was a little less than 5 qts, not the 6 that I would have suspected. Then, after installing a new filter, it only took one 5qt container to bring the level back to midway between the 2 dots on the dipstick.I thought this engine took 6.5 qts with filter change? I wonder if I had previously put 6.5 qts in it without checking the dipstick.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
I checked my '07 6 cylinder's oil level the other day and was concerned that it was quite a bit higher than the top dot on the dipstick. I had changed the oil about 8000 miles ago with mobil1. I drained about 1 qt and the level was now between the dots on the dipstick. I went ahead and did another oil change today with mobil1. The amount of oil removed was a little less than 5 qts, not the 6 that I would have suspected. Then, after installing a new filter, it only took one 5qt container to bring the level back to midway between the 2 dots on the dipstick.I thought this engine took 6.5 qts with filter change? I wonder if I had previously put 6.5 qts in it without checking the dipstick.
Most likely you put too much oil on your last oil change. What about other fluids are they okay? For example, coolant, etc. THe only way it can be higher now than before is if the coolant started to leak into the engine, which is not likely given you have an 07, unless it has a major defect. Again, the most likely cause of this, is human error. You put too much oil last time.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
You're the only one that would know that.

Do you know how to check the oil level? That's where the problem is. Read your Owners Manual for the proper procedure.

~1.6 quarts between the low and high dipstick marks.

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
Well the dipstick shouldn't be taken when hot (after driving a good range), the oil will likely be on the high side.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Well the dipstick shouldn't be taken when hot (after driving a good range), the oil will likely be on the high side.
Technically, it would expand a bit but not enough to make a difference. After driving, wait a few minutes for the oil to return to the pan, so you get an accurate reading.

Tranny fluid level: there's a huge difference between cold and hot. And only check while engine is under normal operating temp, and engine running, etc.

All this stuff is in your manuals.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Technically, it would expand a bit but not enough to make a difference. After driving, wait a few minutes for the oil to return to the pan, so you get an accurate reading.

Tranny fluid level: there's a huge difference between cold and hot. And only check while engine is under normal operating temp, and engine running, etc.

All this stuff is in your manuals.
You're behind the times...........no dipstick for V6 GEN6 transmissions.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
You're behind the times...........no dipstick for V6 GEN6 transmissions.
Ok, fair enough, but my point was that motor oil does not expand like transmission fluid. And to check the motor oil when it has time to settle back down to the pan, not so much if its hot or cold.

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I guess I wasn't clear. I have read the manual and I know how to read the dipstick.
My point was that my dipstick is showing the correct level (smack dab in the center of the 2 dots) with only 5 quarts of oil (filter was changed), the dipstick was showing correct level with 5 quarts of old oil removed and is now showing the same with a single 5 qt container of new oil added. I'll try to post a pic of both sides of my dipstick tomorrow. The issue with the apparent overfill is connected because more than likely I just added 6.5 qts of oil during my last change because I thought toyota had a good idea of how much oil the engine they built required.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
I guess I wasn't clear. I have read the manual and I know how to read the dipstick.
My point was that my dipstick is showing the correct level (smack dab in the center of the 2 dots) with only 5 quarts of oil (filter was changed), the dipstick was showing correct level with 5 quarts of old oil removed and is now showing the same with a single 5 qt container of new oil added. I'll try to post a pic of both sides of my dipstick tomorrow. The issue with the apparent overfill is connected because more than likely I just added 6.5 qts of oil during my last change because I thought toyota had a good idea of how much oil the engine they built required.
Sorry, from the sounds of it, you are saying Toyota Engineers do not know how much oil is required or the manual is wrong. Normally, there are two amounts: With and without filter change. If you change the filter while you do an oil change, you are required to put more oil back in, of course.

Even if Toyota manual stated a 6.5 qts as an example, it still a good idea to check afterwards. As a matter of fact, if it called for 6.5 qts, I would put about 6.25 for example, and then add slow and checking in between. I hate to say this, but this is somewhat common sense.

When I do a drain and fill on my tranny. It calls for 3.5 litres and guess what? It is dead on, 3.5 litres. Even thought it's dead on everytime I still add only 3.25 and slow add and check from that point on. It's good practice. I done a drain and fill many times on my car but I always add slowly when i am getting close.

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even if Toyota manual stated a 6.5 qts as an example, it still a good idea to check afterwards. As a matter of fact, if it called for 6.5 qts, I would put about 6.25 for example, and then add slow and checking in between. I hate to say this, but this is somewhat common sense..
I've discovered that my car's engine would be overfilled if put in 6.25 qts! As I keep saying, the dipstick is showing the correct amount with only 5 qts! I changed the filter and let the old oil drain out (which was still hot) to the point where it was just barely dripping.

·
Registered
08 Camry
217 Posts
of the 5 oil changes i've done on my gen 6 i have never had to add over 6 quarts. unless the engine is allowed to sit overnight and absolutely all the oil drains back into the sump, you will not get 6.5 qts out. there will always be some oil left in the engine, eventually (if vehicle is left to sit for a few weeks) the vast majority of oil will drain back into the sump, but not all of it.

since the best time to change oil is when the vehicle is warm/hot, there will still be some residual oil left in the oil passages that will account for less than the full volume being drained.

when i refill i usually give it 5qts and check and go from there.

as some have mentioned your best guidance is with the dipstick, and if it's correct, have no worries.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
My point was that my dipstick is showing the correct level (smack dab in the center of the 2 dots) .
You should fill your oil to the MAX line, not in the middle of the two dots. That might account for some of the reason. It's okay for your oil to be between the two dots, but the capacity is based on MAX dot. Notice all your other fluid is on the MAX line?

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Didn't anyone notice that the OP said he had gone ahead and changed the oil again after running the original Mobil 1 for 8k miles? Somebody needs to find some good pictures of sludged engines and explain to the guy that 8k miles is just a tad past the optimal oil change time, Mobil 1 or not.

njerald--if you have the time and patience, explain to the OP how an engine's oil level can actually go up over time as it accumulates moisture and contaminants. There are books available on this topic.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Didn't anyone notice that the OP said he had gone ahead and changed the oil again after running the original Mobil 1 for 8k miles? Somebody needs to find some good pictures of sludged engines and explain to the guy that 8k miles is just a tad past the optimal oil change time, Mobil 1 or not.

njerald--if you have the time and patience, explain to the OP how an engine's oil level can actually go up over time as it accumulates moisture and contaminants. There are books available on this topic.
Njerald said it's 1.6 qts between low and high marks, so he is missing at least .8 qts or more It might be more because going halfway on the dip stick from low to high is not necessarily .8 qts because the engine pan, etc is not a uniform shape.

It's an 07 and not likely due to contaminates and moisture. Based on the information given, it is human error, that is the most likely case. Even if didn't maintain the car that well for two years, I don't see this happening.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
If he only changes oil every 8000 miles he should expect to need a new engine before its standard replacement date.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
If he only changes oil every 8000 miles he should expect to need a new engine before its standard replacement date.

It's high, but it is not unheard of. Let's keep in mind, the average car owner doesn't change their oil every 5000 km (3000 miles), and their engines may not last as long but it certainly won't start to have problems at such an early stage. It's only been two years. I've know so many people that don't maintain their cars and nothing like this, and they dont even own Toyota cars. 2 years of neglect or changing oil at 8000 miles interval wont be that damaging to the engine. Or not to the point where sludge/contaminates is displacing 1 qt of oil.

I certainly not saying don't maintain your cars, but the engines are tougher than you expect.

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
^ You people know magazines like MotorTrend will change their oil every 10,000 miles or more.

This is to emulate *normal* people usage.

Of course normal people don't really give a shit about their cars, so that's how they test them.

And the engines still live.

But that's why I don't buy used.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
^ You people know magazines like MotorTrend will change their oil every 10,000 miles or more.

This is to emulate *normal* people usage.

Of course normal people don't really give a shit about their cars, so that's how they test them.

And the engines still live.

But that's why I don't buy used.
Bingo. You hit it dead on. Exactly my point. People on this forum are normally fanatics and only see it from one point of view, from a fanatics point of view, where oil must be changed every 5000km/3000 miles or else major damage. Of course a car maintained will last much longer.

Keep in mind, the majority of the people who drive Camry's are average families, and the Camry reliability history was based on the average family (for the most part anyway). An average family does not maintain the car like us (people on this forum). Yet, the history of the Camry is very reliable.
We (fanatics) only make up a small (very small) majority of Camry owners.

So conclusion: why is the OP experiencing this? human error. PERIOD!
Not sludge, moisture, etc. The only way I can be wrong is if his car/engine has a major defect.

Sometimes troubleshooting things like this does not require a mechanical know how, it just basic common sense and by looking history the of cars, reliability, durability, and doing simple comparisons. What is more likely to happen, etc.

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
^ 3000 miles is a bit much... maybe for DINO oil it's OK, but my dealer told me not to change the Mobil 1 Full Synth again for at least 5k miles, I was changing oil too often. If the dealer who makes money every time I do bring it there for oil changes tells me this, can't be anything but the truth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts