Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Camry with a 2.2 engine and am replacing the front crank seal, oil pump seal and gaskets. My repair manual has you put the oil pan back on using a silicone type of sealant. However, my local parts house shows a gasket for this.

Any suggestions? If I do use the gasket, should I use it dry or with a thin coat of RTV?

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,621 Posts
I seem to recall changing those seals without dropping the pan, but it's been a while.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
I think you're supposed to use a combination of RTV with the gasket. Wait for someone else to say something before you buy anything.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did this not to long ago. Buy the Toyota brand gasket maker from your toyota parts dept, use a liberal amount around the oil pan mateing surface, reinstall and let set up i think its for 12hrs, IIRC. I had the same question as you, but there was no gasket when i took off the oil pan so i just did it the way it came from the factory.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
Either way is fine-gasket or RTV.
I use a gasket ,with the RTV between the oil pan and the gasket only.
Pro's for RTV-good solid seal.
Cons-a PITA to remove pan if you have to in the future.

Pro's for gasket-easy to install and remove
Cons-a good, even torque is more critical on all oil pan bolts for a good seal.
not that big of a deal if you have a micro torque wrench.

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
I think you're supposed to use a combination of RTV with the gasket. Wait for someone else to say something before you buy anything.
:thumbsup: just replaced the oil pan gasket on the 92 camry last week and this is what i did. I only put RTV on one side of the gasket :)

·
イリジウム
13,511 Posts
If you use RTV make sure the surfaces are cleaned with alcohol and dry. RTV was used to ease assembly by robots. I personally still prefer cork-rubber gaskets.

I have a 1999 Camry with a 2.2 engine and am replacing the front crank seal, oil pump seal and gaskets. My repair manual has you put the oil pan back on using a silicone type of sealant. However, my local parts house shows a gasket for this.

Any suggestions? If I do use the gasket, should I use it dry or with a thin coat of RTV?

·
Registered
227 Posts
There is no factory gasket. Toyota used only a special sealant during assembly.

08826-00080 FIPG Seal packing 13.82/10.50

It's a bit pricey, but it's highly regarded. And it's about the same price as a good gasket. Unless you already have a gasket, perhaps from a gasket kit, I don't see a reason to use anything else.

If you do use a gasket, you generally should not use a sealant. And if you do use a sealant on the gasket, put it only on the part that comes off, in this case the oil pan.

·
イリジウム
13,511 Posts
Fel-Pro does have an aftermarket cork-rubber gasket for those who want to use it.

+1 on sealer usage.

There is no factory gasket. Toyota used only a special sealant during assembly.

08826-00080 FIPG Seal packing 13.82/10.50

It's a bit pricey, but it's highly regarded. And it's about the same price as a good gasket. Unless you already have a gasket, perhaps from a gasket kit, I don't see a reason to use anything else.

If you do use a gasket, you generally should not use a sealant. And if you do use a sealant on the gasket, put it only on the part that comes off, in this case the oil pan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts