Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
17 highlander had a small oil leak. Dealer found the oil pan seal had some cracks and so they have resealed it. The car is about to go out of warranty and this repair makes me a little nervous. Do you think this reseal will be the end of this leaking issue? If not then I may need to look into getting the extended warranty. Tks

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,051 Posts
As long as it is the oil pan that is leaking, then yes removing the pan and resealing it with RTV will fix that leak. Will anything else leak? Only time will tell.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
As long as it is the oil pan that is leaking, then yes removing the pan and resealing it with RTV will fix that leak

I'd use RTV ONLY if there wasn't a gasket available. And even then I'd prefer getting gasket material and making my own gasket.

Many cars these days come with RTV for gaskets from the factory for things like oil pans and valve covers. But the RTV is put on very precisely by a robot under ideal conditions. If there's a gasket available (I haven't seen one yet where you can't get a gasket), then use it. RTV is the last resort.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts