Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with a 4A-GE engine with the baffle and the oil pan:
- Do you think it would be wise to use a gasket between the pan and baffle, and a gasket between the baffle and the block?
- Use a gasket between the pan and the baffle, then RTV between the baffle and the block?
- Or just use RTV between everything?
What do you do?

Not really specific to the AE92, but it is for my 90 Corolla GT-S :chug:

Tye

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I almost never use a actual gasket for oil pans, water pumps and other bottom end stuff. But I do use "The Right Stuff" brand which seems to work better than regular RTV. Others here will disagree and go for an actual gasket, so I believe it's really up to you. Either way you'll probably be ok as long as you take the time to clean both surfaces completely so that the sealant sticks. When I do use a gasket, I never use RTV with it, I use this permatex gasket sealer. The RTV always causes the gasket to squeeze out before it's fully torqued down.

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
I would either use 2 gaskets or use RTV on both, I wouldn't mix and match...

I would use 2 gaskets if it were me, but it's personal preference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just paid $22 for the toyota FIPG (form-in-place gasket) in the tube. Expensive stuff, but if it prevents a leak, so much the better. The mechanics at the toyota place down here use it, obviously. I do know some guys prefer gaskets.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I use the copper Permatex RTV.... seals very well.... none of my oil pans that I put this on leaks...

make sure you clean the old stuff off VERY well... I use a wire wheel and a drill....

·
Registered
Corolla & Avensis
723 Posts
When I still worked on industrial gearboxes, the company I worked for only used Locktite products.
I've sealed up a lot of gearboxes and parts of them and I swear by the stuff! I also used it on my 4A-GE rebuild ;)

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I just paid $22 for the toyota FIPG (form-in-place gasket) in the tube.
Which I bet is just black/gray silicone sealant such as Permatex or Locktite, but with a toyota pricing. So far locktite tho has my oil pan leaking from the joint, so now I got some Permatex gray for it. The OEM stuff is really over priced imho.

and yeah to the op, yeah its fine, screw the gasket just put some sealant on there.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,247 Posts
Which I bet is just black/gray silicone sealant such as Permatex or Locktite, but with a toyota pricing. So far locktite tho has my oil pan leaking from the joint, so now I got some Permatex gray for it. The OEM stuff is really over priced imho.
I've never used it personally, but everyone I've talked to has said that Toyota Black is the best sealant they've used, and well worth the price. Not to say that Permatex et al are crap, or are incapable of doing the job though.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
I use two gaskets, and grease both sides them first.
That way if I ever take it apart, the gaskets separate from the metal easily, and I have no residue to remove.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts