Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it started off of a night or fun beating on my 93 v6 sr5 behind my house but after all the fun was said and done i noticed that my oil pressure guage was maxed out so i shut the truck offand the needle stays up to the max line but when i fully turn the key back to the lock position it will slowly drop if i turn the key but dont start it the needle instantly goes to the max befor the needle would not move until i started the truck does this mean my guage is messed up or just a part or what is going on?

·
One with the farce
3,219 Posts
Trace the wire back to the oil pressure sender on the block. Chances are you have a broken wire, or the sending unit is shot.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
If the wire to the sending unit was broken, the gauge wouldn't work at all. Try disconnecting the wire and see what happens.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the wire to the sending unit was broken, the gauge wouldn't work at all. Try disconnecting the wire and see what happens.
will try tomorrow do yoiu think it is ok to drive like that or am i going to mess something up?

·
Registered
94 pickup
129 Posts
what is happening is the wire going to the sending unit is grounding out somewhere. check and make sure the wire is actualy on the guage first then go from there.

if you had a broken wire your guage would not work at all.

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
My moms chevy pickup does the same thing. Somebody ripped the wires out of the oil pressure sending unit. Check your wires!

Its not like the stock pressure gauge is that reliable though ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright i havent checked the wires yet but this morning when i started it the pressure guage needle jumped right to the max but then a litte wile later it dropped a little bit but not much it actually moves with acceleration and deceleration but not like it used to and it still registers very very high compared to normal does this mean my pressure is actually that high if so that cant be good any other ideas??

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would unplug the wire going to the sending unit. If the gauge no longer registers pressure then simply change the sending unit.

Like the previous poster stated, if you unplug the gauge & it still reads high chances are the wire is grounded somewhere. If the wire was disconnected you should have NO reading.

It is very simple, just go one step at a time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts