Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok the camry is having some problems it is a 1996 coupe with a v6 and 136,000 miles. before it went to the shop the oil light was on and i thought it was a sensor but that turned out to be false. so while driving one day it started to make valve clatter so i pulled into the nearest gas station called a tow truck and had it towed to my mechainc. the mechanic now says it has plenty of oil presure when it starts but looses oil presure after it warms up, so he is not shure what exactly the problem is. i think the oil pump should be replaced and go from there but that could be costly if it was not the problem.

so the question is what could be a other source of the loss of the oil presure? so any sugestions would be deaply apreciated.

thanks jason

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just about any bearings can give you a loss of oil pressure if they are bad. I would look at cam bearings if you were having a upper end noise.

Gary

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im going to find out tomorow i only talked over the phone. and i wanna see if the valve clatter stoped now. since im geting oil pressure to make shure that i did not do permanent damage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when it starts its at 50 after warming up 15 and then finaly when he revs the engine it goes down to 5

so any sugestions would be helpfull

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what would be the benifits of having a hivolume oil pump because i found some on the internet that are cheaper then a stock one from they are from japan.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
i would guess oil pump too, the oil thin's as it's heated, or you can be cheap and stick to 20w-50

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
it might be too late this happened to my cam at 100k miles and i tried to change the oil pump and it was already too late remove that dummy light and add a gauge then use 20 50w and see what happens you pick up could be clogged or ...sludge could be destroying your engine as it did mine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts