Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm new to the site. I have a 98 3.0 Sienna with 104K miles. Runs like new and I plan to keep it that way. I'm big on preventitive maintenance. All regular scheduled maintenance has been done and the only thing I'm concerned about is the life expectantcy of the oil pump. I'd like to get some statistical idea of when I can expect it to fail so I can plan to have it replaced ahead of time. Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
You're in luck being a Toyota, it should NEVER need a new oil pump.

Both 3.0L 3vz block engines will scare you if you watch an oil pressure gauge on one, because of the major fluxutations between idle, 2000rpm and 3000rpm and driving after 20-25min.

The good news is that the fluxuation is completely normal! More good news is that the 3vz needs very, very little oil pressure to work. As long as it's got pleanty of oil down in the crank, you could probably get away with no oil pump for quite a bit of driving before you cooked something and the engine siezed.

Just use a good synthetic oil and a Toyota filter and the engine will last until you get rid of the car.

·
nice guy
191 Posts
hey man....the oil pump in my 19884 Corolla with 210,xxx miles has never been replaced. I don't know....but i wouldn't replace it unless I rebuilt the engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Replace it when you have the timing belt done. The part itself is not THAT expensive and the labor will not be too much more when getting the timing belt replaced since the mechanic will need to take the timing belt off to get to the pump anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts