Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if you remember but I had this water problem in the back side about 6 months back - turned out to be detached moonroof tube. That was fixed. Now front driver side has some clear water under the foam pad. Any idea where it is coming from? We had about an inch rain yesterday. I had foam pad removed as I was doing something. So the padding that is part of the carpet was found to be wet. In the center in a straight line along the car's length - this clearly had some water - rest of the padding was just a bit moist.

·
7,128 Posts
1. ac core drain is plugged. Ac runs every time you have "windows" on or when Auto is turned on. Cold weather causes a ton of condensate.
2. Leaking windshield. It's rather not it, as they normally drain along the A pillars, so corners get wet 1st. But plausible.

Unfortunately DEEPER, pun intended, investigation is required.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. AC drain is open and I haven't run AC for a while always in manual mode and haven't used the window mode lately. I checked the drain again anyway. I looked underneath the car and I found something wet - see pics. I don't know what it is and what's the purpose but it was wet as you can see in pics as well (oval and round holes are shown just to give you some idea of location). Also looks like both rubber pieces are intact. I don't think water can splash up and enter into the car but found it weird that it's not sealed perfectly.

·
Registered
2008 TCH
695 Posts
Bummer! Be sure to post back when you find out where it is coming from and or the culprit... I really hope you figure it out...

Cars that leak suck! I remember dealing with an issue like that on a VW TDI Passat that I owned years ago. Turned out to be sunroof drains on that car. The TDI had 1.5 inch thick foam and plastic sound absorbers in the floor boards and firewall. I never could get all the water and smell out of that car, even after removing the entire interior for weeks. Eventually sold it as a result. Shame, great car otherwise.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Auto Seal Tech in Gaithersburg specializes in car leaks. It's actually a guy working out of his house off of Brink Road. A body shop referred me to him when my Grand Caravan had a leak. He took care of it and it never recurred. I never did find out what caused it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I will certainly post back what I find.

Unfortunately I moved to Frederick and I guess I'll have to find someone here. Thanks for the info though.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Yes I will certainly post back what I find.

Unfortunately I moved to Frederick and I guess I'll have to find someone here. Thanks for the info though.
You might not find someone nearby. The body shop that referred me is near downtown Silver Spring, no closer to Gaithersburg than you are now.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might not find someone nearby. The body shop that referred me is near downtown Silver Spring, no closer to Gaithersburg than you are now.

Oh I see. Then maybe I'll go there. I am still trying to find what is causing it.

·
7,128 Posts
Then it's windshield leaking. Rubber plugs are drain plugs.
Btw, this vehicle does not care if you have "manual" mode or not. It WILL engage AC if computer so decides. Apparently, Toyota is obsessed with de-fogging windows from the inside. Must have hit a law suite or something.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to take it to a body shop I know. In the meantime, it was raining and this is what I found underneath:

I don't know why there would be water in that channel or from where it is coming.

·
7,128 Posts
You have sunroof? I know you had it cleaned but.... It may drain around it place else.
"channels" are body structural elements. They are hollow inside, hence the drain plugs.
Thing is, any car gets wet underneath when it rains. What you need to do is to spray hose liberally when it's DRY.
I feel sorry for this. Considering how much electronics there is under the dash, you MUST have this fixed.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have sunroof? I know you had it cleaned but.... It may drain around it place else.
"channels" are body structural elements. They are hollow inside, hence the drain plugs.
Thing is, any car gets wet underneath when it rains. What you need to do is to spray hose liberally when it's DRY.
I feel sorry for this. Considering how much electronics there is under the dash, you MUST have this fixed.

Yes I have that and it was cleaned a few months back - haven't even used it since then but I agree maybe something is going on again.
This was several hours later after rain stopped. Rest of the car is completely dry underneath. I'll take it someplace today.

·
7,128 Posts
Yes, I saw you had SR drain cleaned. But I was more along sunroof seal leak itself, not the plugged drain. Yet, the way it is, it should still drain around pillars A on either side, as roof is dome shaped and water always drains down the hill. Only in Indiana rain can go vertical up (that's BS a custom home builder was telling me, when we had major leak in house he built us)
If you were 100% positive, it's dead in center, I don't even think it's windshield as those still leak by pillars A due to overall glass curvature and cowl shape.
Anything down center sort of points towards heater core/ac exchange. Take a look where heater core hoses enter the firewall. If it's towards FW center line, then it points towards heater core. Good news about that is that it will not leak into the in-dash electronics. My technician had his F150 FRIED because of WS leak onto the dash. I had one of those in my Silverado too, but then you could actually see water coming from behind the mirror. But was in the dash center, yes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In my F150 it leaked in the rear window seal, it got in between the metal and worked itself into the right side wire channel next to the door jams, when you slowed or accelerated you hear the water slosh around. I ended up drilling holes to drain it and reseal the back window. My XLE is doing good so far.

·
7,128 Posts
Hey, OP, is it water or coolant by any chance in those pics? I still think it's condensate from ac exchange. Those cars produce immense amounts of condensate. I practically do not turn ac on, but when parked at work, she still leaves a long stream of water down the parking pitch.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried here and there and finally got tired and took it to a shop that I trust. They somehow want to check the leak out and because of low temperatures it's a problem. Asked me to come back some other time - checked moon roof again though and it's all good. I am tired of this BS so I left the car at dealer's. I'll report tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts