Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
06 Tacoma Reg Cab 2.7L 5 spd manual 88,000 miles JUST out of warranty. Went to local Toyota Dealer (55104) to have airbag light turned off. Clock spring in steering colum (shorting-out they said) replaced @ $381.33 (thats after 10% off coupon). Less than 18 days later the airbag light comes back on, he says it's a faulty mercury sensory unit in left front of vehicle. (No airbag problems ever before this incident). Service manager says there is no relationship ..."just totally coincidental!" I said "no-way that is B.S." went bullistic (figuretively) Called Corporate bitched and e-mailed for 4 hours ultimately got the Dealership to install it for free if I payed for the part, $80.00. Any feedback on this experience would be greatly appreciated, good? bad? did I get screwed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The clock spring problem is quite a common one. The same problem affects most Hilux, Surf (4runner) and Prado of similar age and mileage as they share the same steering column components.

As for the faulty mercury sensor, it does happen... I don't think the two are related though as they connect into different parts of the loom. The only place those two circuits meet is when they terminate at the ECU.

I reckon you just had a run of bad luck... at least you fixed the problem properly instead of just removing the airbag warning light from the the instrument cluster :p

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,292 Posts
Welcome to Toyota Nation, flatbroke! You should head over to the Tacoma forum to post your issue. The folks there can give some insight or opinions about the issue.

:thumbsup:

TrailDust

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.