Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TWO-VEE-ZED
98 Corolla Conquest
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

It's been quite a while since I've posted here, and thought I'd ask a question regarding power plants.
I've been told that the circa 93 7AFE engines develop 100kw, whereas the 7AFE in my 98 Corolla only develops 85kw. What differences are there between the two, to justify the 15kw.

Thanks in advance.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
1,828 Posts
Hello all.

It's been quite a while since I've posted here, and thought I'd ask a question regarding power plants.
I've been told that the circa 93 7AFE engines develop 100kw, whereas the 7AFE in my 98 Corolla only develops 85kw. What differences are there between the two, to justify the 15kw.

Thanks in advance.
I don't think I've ever seen the 7A rated at 100kw, especially not in Aus-built models. Care to elaborate on the source?

·
TWO-VEE-ZED
98 Corolla Conquest
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I've ever seen the 7A rated at 100kw, especially not in Aus-built models. Care to elaborate on the source?
For the life of me, I can't remember. It does seem a bit excessive I guess, but I was thinking it would have been something like different ECU parameters and a compression lift.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
1,828 Posts
The 8th-gen (AE112) 7AFE is slightly different to the 6th- (AE96) and 7th-gen (AE102) ones, in that it has tubular headers and a slightly different ECU tune but it has the same rough power and torque numbers (just at different RPMs), but that's about it.

Out of curiousity, your profile says you have a 1998 but the Ascent model didn't come in until the 2000 facelift (the bugeye AE112s were Conquest, CSX, Levin and Ultima, and the '98 year range was even more limited as it was the overlap between the last of the locally-built AE101/102s and the first imported AE112 hatches)

·
TWO-VEE-ZED
98 Corolla Conquest
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 8th-gen (AE112) 7AFE is slightly different to the 6th- (AE96) and 7th-gen (AE102) ones, in that it has tubular headers and a slightly different ECU tune but it has the same rough power and torque numbers (just at different RPMs), but that's about it.

Out of curiousity, your profile says you have a 1998 but the Ascent model didn't come in until the 2000 facelift (the bugeye AE112s were Conquest, CSX, Levin and Ultima, and the '98 year range was even more limited as it was the overlap between the last of the locally-built AE101/102s and the first imported AE112 hatches)
I see. Thank you for the info...and haha. You're correct. I put Ascent instead of Conquest. I recently bought it back off my nephew who didn't really want it, and assumed it was an Ascent.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
1,828 Posts
One of the very first ones then (I think they started importing them in September '98), gets confusing looking for non-drivetrain stuff since the 102 was still on sale then (I have an October '98 AE102 sedan and they were much more popular), fortuntately we kept the 7A for the 112 rather than getting the 1ZZ that the US did.

·
TWO-VEE-ZED
98 Corolla Conquest
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the very first ones then (I think they started importing them in September '98), gets confusing looking for non-drivetrain stuff since the 102 was still on sale then (I have an October '98 AE102 sedan and they were much more popular), fortuntately we kept the 7A for the 112 rather than getting the 1ZZ that the US did.
I see. The 7A-FE is not a bad motor, but 85kw seems a bit low for a 1.8. Any tricks to boost the power on it? And I don't mean turbo and such.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
1,828 Posts
I see. The 7A-FE is not a bad motor, but 85kw seems a bit low for a 1.8. Any tricks to boost the power on it? And I don't mean turbo and such.
It was on par power/torque-wise with equivalent Mitsi/Mazda/Ford/GMs 1.8s of the day but it was getting a bit long in the tooth by the end of the 90s.
Power-wise there's not much stuff you can do, there are mod paths out there such as turbo or swapping in a GE head but if you're after straight bolt-ons on factory engine management it is basically just the standard intake/exhaust (and it isn't really worthwhile going aftermarket management just to up compression or swap in bigger cams)

·
TWO-VEE-ZED
98 Corolla Conquest
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was on par power/torque-wise with equivalent Mitsi/Mazda/Ford/GMs 1.8s of the day but it was getting a bit long in the tooth by the end of the 90s.
Power-wise there's not much stuff you can do, there are mod paths out there such as turbo or swapping in a GE head but if you're after straight bolt-ons on factory engine management it is basically just the standard intake/exhaust (and it isn't really worthwhile going aftermarket management just to up compression or swap in bigger cams)
I see. Thanks for your help and advice, mate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts