Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wondering why i dont see a lot of the old dx sedans around here, the ones that look like Flashmn, anyways, this was a long time ago when i was still in high school and i believe it was an 1988-ish dx sedan and whenever i turned OFF the engine, it would sputtered for a while and then finally die, does anyone know why it was doing this? the car finally died on my mom when she was at a store, she told me it smelt like something was burning and the car just died when she was driving it, thanks, bye

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^true, what engine are in those anyways? the 4afe i think? because i remember mine was efi, anyways, back to the car problem.........

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
rice, its usually the carburated cars that what you're talking about. Chances are that car had a carb'd 4AF. But if it was an EFI 4AFE then it was probably the timing that was way off.

Same here, lots of sedans but other than my GTS's I don't see too many. There was another red 90 GTS like 3 blocks from me but I believe the people moved. On top of that cancer was taking its toll so I think they dissappeared it. :disappoin I knocked on their door a few times after seeing it parked on the road for a few days with no plates, but they moved before I could talk to them. :(

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
The AE91s did not have EFI until 1990.
1990 was the first year the 4AFE was used in the Corolla. The engine also had a 10 HP increase that year. The 4AFE was either 100 or 105 HP and the 4AF was 90 or 95HP, I can't remember the numbers exactly.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^hmmm....i guess then, mine must be the 1990 one, so can anyone answer my question in the first post? lmao...i cant believe no one answered that

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
I keep running into the same red sr5 in barrie lol he always waves at me. and there are a couple others in barrie but I don't see them very often/ and this black one here in angus. Just the 2 in angus I have seen. Mine and the black one, all coupes I mean lol

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
rice said:
^hmmm....i guess then, mine must be the 1990 one, so can anyone answer my question in the first post? lmao...i cant believe no one answered that
You actually asked 2 questions and if you read my post, I think I somewhat answered both of them. :ugh3:

REN69 said:
rice, its usually the carburated cars that what you're talking about. Chances are that car had a carb'd 4AF. But if it was an EFI 4AFE then it was probably the timing that was way off.

Same here, lots of sedans but other than my GTS's I don't see too many. There was another red 90 GTS like 3 blocks from me but I believe the people moved. On top of that cancer was taking its toll so I think they dissappeared it. :disappoin I knocked on their door a few times after seeing it parked on the road for a few days with no plates, but they moved before I could talk to them. :(

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
REN69 said:
You actually asked 2 questions and if you read my post, I think I somewhat answered both of them. :ugh3:
sorry Ren, so i guess it was the timing....hmmm...

·
Mr. Nice Guy
1991 Corolla GT-S
644 Posts
touringcamry said:
The AE91s did not have EFI until 1990.
1990 was the first year the 4AFE was used in the Corolla. The engine also had a 10 HP increase that year. The 4AFE was either 100 or 105 HP and the 4AF was 90 or 95HP, I can't remember the numbers exactly.
Theres no such thing as AE91s in North America, there is only the AE92 Which includes the coupes and sedans, the wagons are AE90s.

Also I see all sorts of corollas around, new ones old ones you name it, the coupes are rare but theirs still a lot of them around, I kinda know where every ae92 coupe owner lives in this city hahahahah, cuz I was delivering pizzas and making a list in my head of the spare ae92s that are in the city in case I crashed mine or if I needed a parts car hahahah. I also know of a few cars around that are just sitting theres like a 240z on my bus route to school and a s13 coupe by some church and a minty blue sr5 downtown and a rusty gt-s with a hood painted black along with the headlight covers by my dads house and another rusty white gt-s by my dads house HAHAHAHAHHA I dont know the street names on most of those but I know where it is, like the dude that works near the airport I think he owns 2 86s one rusty one and one nice one with jdm bumpers?
Oh, and of course my dad owns a corolla 4 door and he just bought a 96 corolla dx from a write off sale:)
I guess maybe I'm crazy hahahaha.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
canadianae92 said:
Theres no such thing as AE91s in North America, there is only the AE92 Which includes the coupes and sedans, the wagons are AE90s.
Weird, I thought my dad's car was AE91 because it has AE91 in the VIN.

·
AllTrac'er
1991 Toyota Corolla
30 Posts
The wagons or the alltrac wagons are ae95's. atleast mine is....you can tell by the code on the door panel....a bunch of letters and then check your owners manual....

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
damn it! why do people think that's the car code... if you look at your VIN number, on the AE9X part the X implies trim or options I believe, not the model of car itself. all of them are AE92s regardless.. otherwise I'd be driving 2 AE94s. :lol:

·
Fast Toy enthusiast 4ever
1985 Corolla GT-S
454 Posts
I see plenty of the 4 doors around, just not the 2 door sr5's/gts'
my father owned a bronze 4 door carb'd 4af 5 speed about 6 years ago. such a reliable car.
we once took it to the Rally of The Tall Pines and we drove the North Eels lake stage (after castledine's corner) all the way up the hill and ended up bottoming out on a rock embeded in the road, we bashed the oil pan a bit, but thankfully no internal damage, we had like almost no trouble with that thing until the day we sold it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts