Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought and installed a complete OME suspension system for my 1993 extended cab (4x4) pickup. This came complete with rear springs (heavy duty), front torsion bars (medium duty), 4 new shocks and steering stabilizer shock. For most people I would recommend the medium duty as this should be plenty unless you carry a full load most of the time. The difference between medium and heavy duty is that you have to add the extra leaf yourself, which means it can also be removed.
Front torsion bars are easy to remove once you free up the adjusting nut, start spraying with WD40 (or other type) daily for at least a week. This will make removal much easier if you do not have power tools. The kit did not come with new rear leaf springs bolts or shackles I would buy the bolts before you start as most likely it will require a torch to remove the front bolts. Rear shackles where much easier than the front bolts and where reused. Although I had ordered new bolts and shackles the shop that I bought the kit from did not order them because it would have cost more and they would have to pick up the parts. Hmmm, paid upfront for the kit but they couldn’t order the parts and I live out of town, thanks. Anyways, I did manage to do both the front and rear suspension in about one day but I took my time and did it over two days. Getting the old parts off took the most time but once removed installations was the easy part.
Although most if not all mechanics said I was nuts to replace the front torsion bars as they where not broken and I was wasting my time and money. First off the torsion bars are 16 years old and there has to be some wear and tear on them. I have heard of enough people turning up torsion bars on newer GMC’s and Ford’s; one dealership adjusted a fellow worker’s Ford F150 to factory specifications and one week later they heard a loud snap followed by a second loud snap and bang. Both torsion bars broke, so much for dealership expertise apparently they where worn out and should have been replaced. On a previous friends Toyota when I replaced her worn out stock springs with heavy duty I did turn up the front torsion bars to match the new rear springs. However with the new rear springs having 2.5” to 3” of lift I felt it was best to replace with new medium duty torsion bars.
A quick note on add a leaf, only use if your springs are in good shape.
When I first took out the truck the ride was much improved both on the front and rear. However I did not turn up the front torsion bars enough, the ride was car like on the front but once loaded the front was to light. Turned up the torsion bars and things have been fine since then but it lost some of the car like ride. Compared to a 1998 Chevy ½ ton it was smoother empty before I adjusted the torsion bars up some, now it rides slightly stiffer but the Chevy is stock and original, definitely showing it’s age. Loaded the Old Man Emu suspension system drives and handles better than either the Toy or Chevy ever did. Even the neighbor that helped me (borrowed his tools, shop and knowledge) was impressed both we no load and with a couple of hundred pounds of load. He even stated that I was most likely correct in replacing the front torsion bars to match the new rears and it rode great even with the lift kit. Overall I have been impressed and happy with this suspension upgrade and would do it again.
Still using the stock sway bar but I am looking at doing both when I add a rear sway bar. What are people thoughts on Hellwig and Addco or other sway bars?

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Better than new ride and handling is OME's speciality.

·
Registered
'93 2WD Pickup
574 Posts
I've got an Addco rear sway bar (stock toyota on the front). Significantly less body roll, and better turn-in response, but under heavy cornering the truck has a tendency to tripod and lift the inside rear tire. This maybe be because the sway bar strengths are not balanced (Addco advises purchasing their products in a set.) I am happy to report however that this has not made the rear end of the car unstable in dry conditions (though it is a little twitchy in rain.) For reference, my Truck is a short bed standard cab, with a 22RE and a 5 spd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts