Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was just doing some calculations and at 110v our 400w outlet can only put out 3.6 amps. Really isn't very much??
My question is? Has anyone found any good use for it yet??
I would like to use it to run a small compressor (for those air downs) but I think I would need to trash this inverter and install a bigger one?
Any taught??
I know that PB did an install for the inside his Taco. I might go that way?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
^Nice! :thumbsup:

*right clicks, saves image* :lol:

Good place to mount compressor! Now what are the other wires/relays/fuses for? :D

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Where is your air tank at, if you have one? Usually The tank should be next to the compressor. This way you don't melt any airlines by connecting them to that braided line. The head of the compressor can get super hot, which is why the hose lead is made from braided stainless steel.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Pb said:
Where is your air tank at, if you have one? Usually The tank should be next to the compressor. This way you don't melt any airlines by connecting them to that braided line. The head of the compressor can get super hot, which is why the hose lead is made from braided stainless steel.
The tank will be mounted under the bed. I'm running the braided line to a dryer>regulator>manifold. The manifold (brass) will be under the hood, as well, with a quick disconnect at one port, ARB solenoid on another and a third port that will lead to the tank (routed thru the frame). From the tank a 1/8" line to the cab for a pressure gauge and a 1/4" hard line routed up to one of the cubby holes in the bed for another QD. The tank will be regulated with 150psi pressure switch and a 175 psi safety valve.

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
toku58 said:
Hey guys I was just doing some calculations and at 110v our 400w outlet can only put out 3.6 amps. Really isn't very much??
I would like to use it to run a small compressor (for those air downs) but I think I would need to trash this inverter and install a bigger one?
Any taught??
I haven't found a use for it yet other than christmas lights.... even my 1hp wet/dry vac ran very slow when plugged in to it. In my experience thus far, it hasn't been very useful... Maybe others will have some ideas on how to use the dern thang.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
BillBrasky said:
The tank will be mounted under the bed. I'm running the braided line to a dryer>regulator>manifold. The manifold (brass) will be under the hood, as well, with a quick disconnect at one port, ARB solenoid on another and a third port that will lead to the tank (routed thru the frame). From the tank a 1/8" line to the cab for a pressure gauge and a 1/4" hard line routed up to one of the cubby holes in the bed for another QD. The tank will be regulated with 150psi pressure switch and a 175 psi safety valve.
Ah, sounds good to me. Be sure that any plastic line you use is DOT certified air brake hose. The plastic line from plumbing stores will not last very long in an automotive environment. It will get soft and blow out. Just an FYI to all those wanting to install an air system.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
BillBrasky said:
The fuses feed the relays, another switch and my CB
The relays are for bed lights (connected), compressor and a solenoid
Thanks! Looks like a really nice setup! I was trying to figure out a place for the compressor, and it looks like it fits nicely there! I was thinking similar spot on opposite fender, but realized it was a little small when I did my last oil change. More pics of the whole setup would be greatly appreciated! :clap: Even if you just update your yotatech page with them.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Pb said:
Ah, sounds good to me. Be sure that any plastic line you use is DOT certified air brake hose. The plastic line from plumbing stores will not last very long in an automotive environment. It will get soft and blow out. Just an FYI to all those wanting to install an air system.
I've got 2 pieces (1 @ 1/4 & 1 @ 1/8) @ 15' of the black line that Viar sells in it's "air source relocation kit" which is designed to use a 1/4" barb connected straight to the SS braided line from the compressor. I'll use the 1/8" line for the pressure gauge. That stuff is rated at 190*, so I should be ok.

For the locker line, I'm gonna copy what dmartin151 did and sheath the blue ARB lines in some 3/8" fuel line.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
PiercedTiger said:
Thanks! Looks like a really nice setup! I was trying to figure out a place for the compressor, and it looks like it fits nicely there! I was thinking similar spot on opposite fender, but realized it was a little small when I did my last oil change. More pics of the whole setup would be greatly appreciated! :clap: Even if you just update your yotatech page with them.
This has been a painstakingly long process of system design, part selection and procurement...I'm still waiting on pieces and parts. It's hard to find all the right stuff in a small town. All I've really gotten done so far is mounted the compressor and some initial wiring (what you see in the pics). I was just taking pics along the way and these were the first. And since Toku was interested in an air compressor, I thought I'd share.

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
I've used mine to recharge batteries for my cordless drill/circle saw/etc. It's nice when working on stuff outside. It's not good for much of anything else to me so far.

·
Registered
2006 Double Cab
10 Posts
I use mine to plug in a Fluorescent drop light in case I should need to change a tire at night. I don't think it can do much more than that. That 400 watt rating is probably into a resistive load for a short time on a good day. Some inductive load (your compressor) even close to that rating might have a problem.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Jingjok said:
I use mine to plug in a Fluorescent drop light in case I should need to change a tire at night. I don't think it can do much more than that. That 400 watt rating is probably into a resistive load for a short time on a good day. Some inductive load (your compressor) even close to that rating might have a problem.
I did the drop light thing when fixing the plumbing in my house. Had to do around $1,000 worth of fixes before it would pass inspection so we could close. Electricity was off the first couple days, and after that we found a few lights we couldn't turn off. So I would shut the breakers off after I hung two drop lights off the side of the truck to light up the yard. My father in law and I could see quite well while we carried tools out, loaded up, and headed home for the night. By my guestimations you can run 7 of those lights and still only use around 100W. They light up quite a bit too so I plan on packing them for camping trips.

I've also used it to charge drill batteries like mentioned before, but I had to replace the charger afterwards. Not sure if it was bad power from the inverter, or bouncing around in the bed while I drove to a job site. Either way I've decided to not try it again.

Someone mentioned in the thread about inverter use a long time ago that he used a 16" hedge trimmer to open up trails. Kept the branches from scratching the truck. :thumbsup:

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BillBrasky said:
Hard wire it in.

Hey thats a nice one BILL!! what is that fuse box for??
I was hoping to run something like a nail gun compressor off a 110v outlet?? You know one of those pancake deals?:dunno: :dunno:
But I might do it your way? Do you think that compressor will fit in the bed compartment???

·
knucklehead
113 Posts
The maximum output is 400 watts. That's roughly equal to 1/2 hp. If you're trying to run vacuum cleaners, air compressors and such, it is not sufficient. There is much more power available for a compressor with the 12 volt system. Of course you can get a bigger inverter but you will have to run it to the battery directly anyway.

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
BillBrasky said:
The fuses feed the relays, another switch and my CB
The relays are for bed lights (connected), compressor and a solenoid
Looks really nice and clean so far. Where are you putting all the in-cab switches? I assume you've run out of room in the stock locations?

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
screeber said:
Looks really nice and clean so far. Where are you putting all the in-cab switches? I assume you've run out of room in the stock locations?
Thanks. I have lots o room left for switches in my non-TRD. I don't have all those fancy-pants buttons like you have.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
toku58 said:
Any taught??
I know this is sort of contrary to the whole point of having a 4x4 and heading off into the woods, but...

I work for a software engineering firm, and as long as I get the work done, my schedule is pretty flexible. Sometimes I get the opportunity to go camping, but there still may be a bit of work to do.

I cut a piece of 1/4" masonite the same size as my tailgate, and I take it with me if I need to do any work. Then I'll park my truck in such a way that the tailgate is desk height, lay the masonite down on the tailgate, plug in a power strip and attach my laptop and printer to it. Pull up a chair and youre good to go. Nuts, I know, but if you had to work, would you rather do it out in the woods, or in a flourescent lit office? :D

Other than that, I can't figure out any real use for the damn thing. It's cool for effect when showing people your truck though. "And see? It's got a 117v outlet in the bed!" LOL!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts