Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a couple questions on this subject,,1st question=wheres the master cylinder that i have to keep filling up with brake fluid,every wheel,under the hood,where?2nd question=what happens first,the person holding the brake release the brake or the person working the bleeder closing the bleeder? 3rd question=how do you know when its time to close the bleeder,what are the signs? 4th question=how much brake fluid should i buy to do this job and what kind? i think if i get these 4 questions answered ill be able to do this without any problems,thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry i just came up with another question,can you rise one tire up at a time like if you were changing a tire or do you have to have the car level,and if u have to have it level is it possible to do it with the wheels on all 4s or whats the procedure for getting the car elevated like it needs to be

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,071 Posts
Be nice... and post the search button.:D

But to be honest, have you got any repair manual on hand??? it will surly help. For this it does not matter if it is a Chiltons or Haynes.

Pick one up! or search the web!

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
1.In the engine bay attached to the firewall behind the left fender. It has a clear resevoir with a black plastic cap on it.
2.The person holding the brake pumps the brake 3 times then holds it. While holding the brake the other person, starting from the right rear loosens the brake bleeder. The person holding down the brake pushes the brake pedal to the floor. And the other closes the valve before the fluid stops coming out. Repeat this 3 to 4 times until the air bubbles stop coming out.
Start at the right rear then go to left rear, then right front, and lastly the left front. Make sure between each corner to refill the resevoir so you don't suck in any more air.
3. Get one bottle of Dot 3 or better. You shouldn't need more than 16oz. The cap on the res. will tell you what type to use.

You do not need to jack the car up. Just have the car in park.

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,071 Posts
I have a question for Randy.

What brake work did you do? or more importantly, what motivated the brake fluid bleeding?

If it was spongy pedal, then you may have other worries.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
It would however make it easier to get to. I would use jack stands, 4 of them and raise the whole car level.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Open the resevoir cap before you start. Keep a little water handy and dump on spills that may occur. Use rubber gloves to handle fluid. Keep stuff handy for spills. Sawdust, kitty litter, etc.

Only have something else to add to the method of bleeding;

Clean the nipple on the calipers before you start.
Use some clear plastic tubing at least a foot long (can be 2 feet), attach it to the nipple. Tight. You don't want this coming off. I use cheapo aquarium air hose.
Place other end of tube into clear bottle, I use a large baby bottle.
Make sure the end of the tube is on the bottom of the bottle. This prevents any air accidently backfilling. It also lets you see if bubbles are coming out of the caliper.
When disconnecting plastic tube after bleed, disconnect from nipple side first and raise it high so all fluid in tube runs into drain bottle.

I then rubbercap the nipple and splash some water on the caliper to remove any spills as that stuff is corrosive.

Just as an afterthought, above is one way to do a flush. Drain as much fluid from the resevoir bottle without hitting bottom (use a baster or syringe, top with new fluid before beginning to bleed. Bleed each caliper until new fluid comes out clear from each caliper. Do not stop until NO bubbles are coming through.
Takes quite a bit more fluid and time, but well worth it if you have not flushed it before. Not as great as a complete disassembly but a good way to get moisture out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info,i know they need to be bled because the mechanic told me after he changed the timing belt and water pump,but i knew before that because there is air when i press down on the pedal,not enough to worry me but id rather take care of it now,so its possible to do this without raising and taking off the wheels? where exactly would i find the nipple,i know it seems like alot of questions but im a quick learner,thanks again for the help, what a great place to learn,about the haynes manual i beleive if everyone had it there would only be about 10 percent of the Q&A's there are now but for some reason i do better at asking specific questions and getting specific answers then looking at manuals,they always have a way of making things more complicated then they have to be

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Nips on the caliper. You could try to do it with wheels on and gymnastics, but its better off. Less dangerous. Clean everything before you start.

Good time to check pads, etc too.

I am going to change all four discs to brembo units, new pads and will be doing same thing at the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i guess ramps wouldnt help to much with this job,since u cant take the tire off on ramps so i guess ill have to get 4 jack stands

·
Registered
1993 Camry LE
172 Posts
I say take off the wheels, place the car on jacks, then bleed each brake separatwly. Also, what about the bleeder pumps? I think that would also be easier if you can't have one person pump the brakes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Motive pressure bleeder. http://www.motiveproducts.com/
Throw a quart in, pump it up to 5-7lbs psi and bleed away.

You don't need to call a buddy to come over and pump the pedal anymore or worry about the MC running out of fluid.
Possible damage to the MC seal due to extended travel is eliminated too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts