Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 1mzfe 5-speed and have run into a dead end... I am having clutch problems... the clutch and bearings are brand new, but I just started having trouble where the clutch pedal does not return. So I did some troubleshooting: master cylinder was not leaking, release (slave) was not leaking. Which led me to believe that the release fork was faulty/damaged. I had no idea how a solid piece of cast metal would be damaged, but I ordered the fork anyway from the Toyota house. Took the bitch apart, replaced the fork. Drove for 10 minutes and the clutch stopped returning again. Troubleshooting again: The only thing I came up with was that if the master cylinder wasn't leaking, the piston was sticking in the bore. So I just bought and replaced my master cylinder. Ok, now my pedal is returning, but I can not select a gear without SERIOUSLY jamming the hell out of the shifter. TROUBLESHOOTING AGAIN: brings me back to the release fork:
"Release fork is not installed properly." I am sick and tired of walking in circles with this car. Can someone please tell me what the hell is the matter and how I can remedy it? Taking it to a mechanic is my LAST resort, as I have always diagnosed and worked on this car myself (excluding the recall and block replacement, as performed at the Toyota house).

·
Registered
93 Camry LE
1,531 Posts
Well..did you bleed the clutch after you replaced the master cylinder? If I were you..I would have replaced both master AND slave cylinders BEFORE replacing the fork. MUCH less work and MUCH less money!

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
If you are sure you reassembled the clutch fork and release bearing correctly - i think there is a possibility your new pressure plate is bad and has weak springs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts