Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago I started getting the well-known single click when attempting to start the engine.* The problem was intermittent and seemingly resolved after replacing the starter contacts three weeks ago.* Today, for the first time in three weeks, the single click returned and I couldn't start the engine.* The contacts were replaced at my local Toyota dealer who checked all charging and starting components when the contacts were replaced.* Has anyone experienced this type of problem before after replacing your contacts?* Is it possible for new contacts to be flawed, or go bad this quickly.* Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you, ... Christopher

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,623 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

How good is yer battery and battery connections? What's the current battery voltage? Have you double checked the battery cable going to the starter? Sometimes technicians fergit to tighten that nut down correctly. If you do try it, make sure you disconnect the battery ground before attempting it. You don't want to weld yer wrench to something. ;)

When the dealership replaced the starter contacts, do you know if they replaced the plunger as well or did they try to resurface it instead? Do you know if they greased the plunger shaft, too? I'm surprised the dealership didn't just remove and replace the starter instead of the contacts. New contacts will not wear out in a couple of months. There is another issue at hand. ;)

I would pull the starter and have it tested just to make sure it's not the culprit. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts