Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Toyota Extended Service Contracts, commonly called warranties

I am going to call both of these people. The dealer I bought my Tacoma only sells some off-brand
contract. The dealer probably owns it as some unscrupulous dealers do. The thing that sticks in my mind
is this. If a Toyota Dealer will sell you a non-Toyota contract they will sell you non-Toyota parts as well.
Right? So in the future I’m only buying from a real Toyota Dealer that shows me he/she they are committed
to Toyota. I don’t want any cheap non-Toyota parts on my truck; and there are plenty of them out there!
Thanks for posting Troy’s and JTaylor’s name and number.....and if there are more please post.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Hybrid
200 Posts
so it adds 10 years / 125,000 miles to whatever was already on the car ?
No, it is 10 years/125,00 miles period... from date of purchase with 0 miles. You must purchase it while the original 3 year/36,000 mile warranty is still active.

/Jim

Reactions: Kadena

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought the 10year/100K from Jennifer at Wolverine Toyota, mentioned earlier in this thread. Good price!

I was surprised to see all that the platinum plan covers. Roadside assistance, rental reimbursement, and $100 per day travel reimbursement. So, plan your next breakdown at your vacation location and Toyota will pay for your hotel! :grin:

·
2016 Avalon Limited
259 Posts
Sorry guys but I have better things to spend my money on than a TOYOTA extended warranty. If it was a GM, Ford or Dodge I could see it. I had a Ram that was awful. I have had many Honda's and Toyota's over the years. Never an issue. Call it luck but I believe in build quality and you get that with Toyota and Honda. All manufacturers have their problems but my experience has been the Toyota, Honda cars have been by far the best. I don't dump a car unless it has at least 130,000 miles...(my '94 Civic has 324,810 miles). The only car I got an extended warranty on was my 2010 Corvette. Turns out I needed it. I get the peace of mind some of you want but take that money and put it in a special account just in case. Chances are you will still have that money years later. Just my two cents....

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Hybrid
200 Posts
Sorry guys but I have better things to spend my money on than a TOYOTA extended warranty. If it was a GM, Ford or Dodge I could see it. I had a Ram that was awful. I have had many Honda's and Toyota's over the years. Never an issue. Call it luck but I believe in build quality and you get that with Toyota and Honda. All manufacturers have their problems but my experience has been the Toyota, Honda cars have been by far the best. I don't dump a car unless it has at least 130,000 miles...(my '94 Civic has 324,810 miles). The only car I got an extended warranty on was my 2010 Corvette. Turns out I needed it. I get the peace of mind some of you want but take that money and put it in a special account just in case. Chances are you will still have that money years later. Just my two cents....
Regarding extended warrantees, My 2015 Prius v has the dreaded touch screen issue. When it is hot, then screen has a gremlin that start's pushing its own buttons until it freezes up. Then you reboot the radio, and if the car interior has normalized, it generally works ok.

I decided to bring it up, so I notified the dealer. I was told that even though they saw the failure on my vehicle, I would need to bring it in for a firmware upgrade first. He said that was required because the radios are very expensive... some over $4000.

The Avalon has a lot of electronics in them... and I don't think Toyota is better than average when it comes to electronics.

The above is good enough for me to have the extended warranty.

/Jim

Reactions: dklanecky

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
719 Posts
Regarding extended warrantees, My 2015 Prius v has the dreaded touch screen issue. When it is hot, then screen has a gremlin that start's pushing its own buttons until it freezes up. Then you reboot the radio, and if the car interior has normalized, it generally works ok.

I decided to bring it up, so I notified the dealer. I was told that even though they saw the failure on my vehicle, I would need to bring it in for a firmware upgrade first. He said that was required because the radios are very expensive... some over $4000.

The Avalon has a lot of electronics in them... and I don't think Toyota is better than average when it comes to electronics.

The above is good enough for me to have the extended warranty.

/Jim
While I certainly expect that the Avalon power train to be flawless for ~300,000 miles, the cost of certain high technology parts is REALLY high. For example, when my drivers side exterior rear view mirror was throwing error codes, and disabling the RCTA, and BSW systems, the dealer quoted me ~$1,000 for an outside rear view mirror alone, not including labor to replace it if it was determined to be bad.

That's high enough for me to spend ~$1,500 for a 10 year, 100,000 miles, zero deductible warranty. $18 a month (for 7 years beyond the 3/36) is literally pocket change over the years, and the warranty also provides other services like the roadside help (replacing AAA membership @$100 year) so I for one think it's a bargain.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey to all, to keep this "thread" current, I just contacted Jennifer of Wolverine Toyota. Got a hell of a deal on a 8yr/125K Warranty, the dealer I bought my Highlander from wanted $1995 for a 7yr/100K (because "I was buying it there, they were giving me a discount") well I just saved hundreds under that and bought the 8yr/125K. Got to love the internet!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey to all, to keep this "thread" current, I just contacted Jennifer of Wolverine Toyota. Got a hell of a deal on a 8yr/125K Warranty, the dealer I bought my Highlander from wanted $1995 for a 7yr/100K (because "I was buying it there, they were giving me a discount") well I just saved hundreds under that and bought the 8yr/125K. Got to love the internet!!!
Most don't know everything is negotiable

·
Registered
137 Posts
Most don't know everything is negotiable
Not only do they not know, they damn, near called me a liar at two places. I gave them a number, even added a little to it and they said; "Don't know where you are getting your numbers, but we cannot do that"!! Oh well..... Toyota NAtion, wins!!

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
719 Posts
When I bought our Aalon, I was "quoted" the 10 year zero deductible Platnium packge by the Finance guy at about double what Jennifer had quoted. I politely declined, and then he went into his "don't you want to protect your Avalon" spiel, at which time I said yes, I absolutely did, but his price was almost double what I had been quoted by another dealer. He asked for documentation (an e-mail in this case) which he took from me, and after consulting with someone, he came back and said he would match the price.

Easy peasy!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Got to love competition!!! But I would not give out the documentation because they (Toyota) will cut us off again and not allow online sales. And I know I will buy again. great story, I actually did that years ago. CSM-H

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Hybrid
200 Posts
Got to love competition!!! But I would not give out the documentation because they (Toyota) will cut us off again and not allow online sales. And I know I will buy again. great story, I actually did that years ago. CSM-H
I was thinking the exact same thing. I would prefer to give my business to one of the dealerships that will perform online orders at attractive pricing without bringing attention to them.

/Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks OK i found it ?

https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/web/tfs/pub/contents/vsa/TFS_VSA_Platinum_VSA_eBrochure.pdf

"Used Toyota vehicle within current plus 9 model
years old and up to 150,000 total vehicle miles.
See your dealer for eligibility requirements on nonToyota vehicles. Used Vehicle plans are available
through your Toyota dealer only at the time of used
vehicle purchase or lease."

so if getting a used Toyota you have to go CPO and it can be up to 9 year / 150,000 mile ?

but that's when you GET the car ... when will it EXPIRE ?

is there a limit to age / mileage of the car where the warranty will run out ?

i ask because my plan was if i'm getting the Avalon i'm using it FOREVER ( never selling - drive until wheels fall off ) and i wonder how long of a warranty i can get for it ...

giving warranty on a 150,000 mile car is actually fairly generous ! some cars like Audi belong on the junk yard already at 100,000 ...

·
Registered
89 Posts
At least on the 2020, the hybrid system is covered through 150k with the standard factory warranty, which is longer than the extended warranty.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just for reference; 7yr/100K miles... $925. 8yr/125K miles for $1405..... Not worried about engine or trans, my concern it the electronics!! Good luck, CSM-H

·
Registered
2020 Avalon XSE - Ruby Flare Pearl
71 Posts
Just for reference; 7yr/100K miles... $925. 8yr/125K miles for $1405..... Not worried about engine or trans, my concern it the electronics!! Good luck, CSM-H
Where did you get those prices from? I got higher from Jennifer @ Wolverine via email just last week.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts