Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car up in the as i was changing the oil, i noticed that my cv boots for my axles were all torn off.... so there is no grease in there :eek::

It is only a matter of time before they start to click then i need new axles on both sides... :thumbsdow

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
The grease gets thrown out and the debris gets let in and starts to grind on the parts. The longer the boot was left torn the greater potential for damage.

How many miles do you have on the car now? Even without boot damage CV joints do not last forever. How long due you plan to keep the car?

Are you going to be doing the work yourself? If not it may be cheaper in the long run to install replacement axles due to the time required to remove and replace them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The grease gets thrown out and the debris gets let in and starts to grind on the parts. The longer the boot was left torn the greater potential for damage.

How many miles do you have on the car now? Even without boot damage CV joints do not last forever. How long due you plan to keep the car?

Are you going to be doing the work yourself? If not it may be cheaper in the long run to install replacement axles due to the time required to remove and replace them.
The car has 220K on the body. I plan on keeping the car untill it dies. I will more than likely do them myself.

The car is my DD, so i need it. i do not want to drive my 2002 Trans Am everyday

·
Registered
228 Posts

I am a die-hard DIY'er for most things...however, the dealer does my timing belt (&WP) and PepBoys does my CV joints /half axles. At 200K miles, the CV joints (axle assy) have been replaced once already. If the covers come off again or crack, and if I catch it quickly, I might try one of the split boots (gaiter?) that don't require the axle to be removed. Anybody have any luck with them?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welp my axels are now starting to click a little bit. So today I went to Napa and bought new axesl. Very cheap. Cost me for both COMPLETE axels $125 including a $22 core charge.

So next week i will throw them in :)

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Avalon
167 Posts
Wow...if they're that cheap, I might buy mine. Did you by any chance get a peak at the price of the rears?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts