Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry LE
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone.....today I finally got around changing the spark plugs on my 1998 Toyota Camry V6. One thing I can say about this experience is that.....its something I dont want to do again.....neither am I buying another 6 cylinder camry in my life.....unless the start mounting the engines differently. It took me about 20 minutes to change the front spark plugs.....I replaced the older Denso spark plugs with NGK Iridiums.....the Denso's looked gray in color at the electrodes....and the tips of the electrodes were black....I think thats bad right? Anyhow, I was able to change the front spark plugs with relative ease....but the rear spark plugs were just extremely hard to reach.....what I mean by this is that I stood near the passanger side for 2 hours trying to yank the damn rubber wire but it did not budge:cursin: ....I am soooo pissed right now because my hands are bleeding....my temper is out the damn roof.....One thing that did happen which was positive is that I took the car for a ride after changing the front spark plugs and I tried to feel the difference.....to do this....I got in my drive way....brought the car to a stop and just floored it....the tires screeched all the way through first.....this is something thing that has NEVER happend before....I know because I have tried....but now I want to know how much better it will perform if the rear three are changed.....I wish I knew someone who lives close to me that could help me out....I dont want to go to a mechaninc unless I have no other option.....Please tell me what should I do?????

·
1999 Camry V6 Auto
57 Posts
I haven't done it myself, but I'd assume it would be easiest if you remove the intake manifold and anything else in the way. You're right about the rear 3 being hard to reach, especially with all that crap in the way.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry LE
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey I tried to remove the intake plenum......but I didnt have any luck with the removal of that either.....maybe I just plain stupid:lol: with no idea how to work on cars....anyhow....I dont know what to do anymore.....maybe I will hit-up a mechanic....see what quote they give me for three spark plugs....but I highly doubt its going to be reasonable or something that I can afford.

·
Toyota Camry Vienta CSi
Toyota Camry Vienta
188 Posts
^

Just get a Haynes manual, it shows how to get the intake off (it isnt hard at all), because a mechanic will charge alot as the back 3 are the ones that they charge you mainly on! It is abit of a bitch to, the inline fours take 5mins to change em out... but its worth it for the extra power in the V6's IMO!

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry LE
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey AUSSIE_CAMRY....thanks for the help....I am exactly going to do that now.....get a haynes manual and go from there....

abew330 LOL....I know what you mean....its not that its hard to change them.....they just take forever to come out.....and of course....the back pain is something that is inevitable unless you take off the intake plenum...

Thanks Everyone......Cheers:thumbup:

·
Toyota..Moving Forward-->
1995 Toyota Camry LE
163 Posts
You can use extensions for your socket to get to the rear spark plugs, meaning no intake plenum to remove. I forgot what forum it was on but they had a list of the tools needed and how to do it.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ yup, and it's still not easy

the easiest way is to take off your intake plenum. the first time will take you awhile....after 2 or 3 times though, you can get it off in 10-15 min

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry LE
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah its true what you say .....its not so easy to take off the intake plenum......but its something I have to do pretty soon.

·
Toyota Camry Vienta CSi
Toyota Camry Vienta
188 Posts
Doing the sparkies with the intake on and any extension is still a major hasle, and personally at least I dont have the patience to fiddle with it when taking the intake off makes it easy as. And a minor benefit from it is you get to change your coolant and maybe give the intake and other related components like the throttle body a good cleaning.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Let me know if you need help/pictures next time you try it. Or if you just want pics of where the screws are. You will also need a large hex bit for the Plenum removal

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
hassanbigboss said:
yeah its true what you say .....its not so easy to take off the intake plenum......but its something I have to do pretty soon.

i agree

i've done a few v6 rear spark plugs, take about 30 minutes for the rear 3, but a property tool is a must, right size extension rachet, and small hand is a plus.

i've also removed the intake plenum for valve cover gasket replacement, it is a lot of work, 3 or 4 hours for me, and also need to replace those metal intake plenum gasket if reuse and it might leak air.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
I can now take my plenum off in like 1 hour, haha. It's sad. I've taken way too much crap apart cause I was bored.....

One tip, if I am EVER bored, DO NOT leave your car at my house. :lol: I took 1/2 hte interior off on my Nana's '95 Rolla 2 weeks back cause I wanted to see how it was put together. :eek:

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry LE
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bronzemaxell.....I am so down with cash right now that after buying these NGK Iridium spark plugs I dont think I can afford to change the metal intake plenum gasket....besides....I dont really feel comfortable taking off the plenum....but if I cant really change the spark plugs any other way....I wouldnt really have another option but to take the intake plenum off.....but thanks for the help....I dont know how soon I will get around changing the spark plugs....but I will let you guys know how it goes.:thumbup:

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
honestly i've been able to change the sparkplugs and the wires on my car with a bit of difficulty but i didnt remove anything to do it.

I had a mental picture of what i was working with and with what little i could see i was able to feel my way around the back and do the procedure that way.

The only tools i used were hands, ratchet, two extensions and the spark plug remover.
It is very frustrating and even painful (scratches/bloody arms/sore back), but once you get the hang of it, its not so bad, and very satisfying.

good luck.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry LE
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nodrogkam, I exactly know what you mean when you say that its satisfying to DIY. As my thread says....I tried for like 2 hours to pull the wires out but I dont think that the spark plugs had ever been changed before, which could explain why the damn wires dont come off easily. One thing I will try is that I will run the engine so that the engine block warms up enough to make the rubber on the wires a little soft thus making it easier to pull the thing out. I say this because the say I was trying to pull out the wires....it was like 28 F outside....other factors that might have made it harder for me is.....that my hands are huge:eek: ....luckily I have the proper tools.....but I will indeed give it a try again with the engine block a bit warm.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
^ Dunno if it will help, but I will likely write a DIY for taking off the Throttle Bodt and Plunum on the 1MZ later this week. I need to remove mine, so may as well.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry LE
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ASG14....a DIY would be awesome...now i am waiting for you to do this whenever you get time this week or weekend:)

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
^ If you can think of any Q's SPECIFICALLY, and want pics, let me know!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts