Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which type of air filter is best for the MR2 turbo?

A panel air filter or a open air filter?

Normally you would say a open air filter, but with the MR2 the air intake is at the driver's side sideskirt and not in the front bumper as seen in many other performance cars.

The airbox toyota build for our cars leads directly to this air intake. so I was wondering if a panel type airfilter isn't better than an open air filter.

Because it seems to me that in the case of the MR2 with the engine in the middle, and the air intake at the side of the car an open air filter would be bottered to much by the engine bay temperture, which will cost HP instead of increasing it... Or am I seeing this the wrong way?

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
it's also all in where you put the filter. try to put it close to one of them intake hole things.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
andyb16 said:
If you get a Tom's style scoop, it wll push the air right into a cone filter. I have a cone filter, but no scoop. I had a k&n filter element on my stock air box, and the cone is definately better. Sounds better too.
Tom's scoops are purely for looks... they have nothing to do with performance whatsoever. Most of the air is pulled in from the bottom of the car... therefore pushing air from the top will actually screw up your air flow... but not enough to make a differance. Some of them look good... but other look kinda funky... if you are gonna buy a scoop... dont expect power gains and don't get the ugly kind :p:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So The APEXI cone is my best bet,

but what about a heat shield? Because I've seen some pictures of the APEXI intake and it had a kind of metal plate 'wrapped' around the cone filter... Is this included with the filter or is it something You have to manufacture yourself??

Thnx for your reply's guys, really appreciate it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts