Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lock in the front driver's side door of my '95 camry is stuck in the locked position with the door closed. After doing some searches here, it looks like the actuator is shot, but I think I need to be able to open the door to get at things to confirm (and replace if necessary).

Any suggestions would be appreciated, since the Dukes of Hazzard entry method is getting old pretty quickly.

thanks,
Matt

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
i'm in the same boat

my rear passenger door is also stuck in the lock position... If i hit the unlook a few times, the door will eventually unlock.

Am not sure if it is the actuator or not..

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
something might be broken in there. i had the same exact problem, and youre right, its funny at first, but not as funny when people point and laugh :lol:

i took mine to a body shop... forgot what was wrong (something about messed up rods and mechanisms) but he said he had to replace the whole thing with used parts (with my approval of course).

o, and make sure you take it to a guy who has done it before. i brought it to another shop before this one, and he proposed to remove the surrounding body panels (fender, etc.). i think the way he got in was through the black triangular panel on the inside of the car, next to the side view mirror.

·
Registered
99 Camry
131 Posts
There was an article in my local paper concerning the VERY same issue!

I was gonna try and link to it, but I can't find it on the newspaper's website. It basically mentions to first try this:

1. Spray a penetrating Lubricant into the latch opening and cycle the latch (open & close the door) 10 times.

2. Then try twisting the key back and forth a dozen times or so, trying to get things to loosen up. If this fails, repeat the whole process the next day.

If the lubricant fails, remove door trim panel. Disengage the door lock actuator linkage & try the locks again. Next, inspect the lock cylinder, lock linkage, and door latch.

-Joel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, spraying lube in there didn't do the trick- I can't open and close the door because it's stuck in the locked position.

What I'm trying to find out is if there's a way that I can get the door open myself without having to bring it somewhere. I think that if I can get the door open and get the inside panel out then I should be all set from there.

Any more ideas? It seems like I'm not the only one that this has happened to, but no one that's had the problem in the past ever posts the ultimate solution.

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
did you try
through the black triangular panel on the inside of the car, next to the side view mirror on the door.
yet?

if all else fails, obviously the ultimate solution is to have it done at a shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ryuji16 said:
did you try
"through the black triangular panel on the inside of the car, next to the side view mirror on the door. "
yet?

if all else fails, obviously the ultimate solution is to have it done at a shop.
I tried removing the little black panel last night and I got it off far enough to be sure that it gives access to absolutely nothing-- it was fairly easy to do though, so it was worth a shot.

I found that with a flathead screwdriver and a pair of needlenose pliers it's possible to remove the plastic anchors on the back of the inside panel of the door. The anchors on the bottom come out fairly easily as well. Removing the plastic housing around the door handle was the hardest part- the top and bottom are anchored on at the handle's turning axis and you need to pry up on the top down on the bottom to get them out. After those are off, pull back on the housing to free the front and it should come right out.

I now have some access to the inside of the door, but I still can't get the darn thing open. There are plastic cowlings around the lock and latch mechanisms to prevent theft, but they do a fine job of preventing me from working on the latch as well-- I may just break them off so that I can get at the mechanism...

I'm allergic to paying someone to work on my car- I'll go that route as a last resort, but not before I've really given it a good try myself.

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
mattb said:

I'm allergic to paying someone to work on my car- I'll go that route as a last resort, but not before I've really given it a good try myself.
alrite i respect that :thumbup:

hopefully you dont break anything. good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Success

After pulling back the inside panel a bit I was able to trip the latch using a long screwdriver inserted from the top of the door (with the window down). After watching the passenger side door operate it was fairly simple to figure out what I needed to push with the screwdriver to open the door.

Unfortunarely, getting the door open was the easy part: It turned out that the spring that connects the door latch mechanism to the locking mechanism had broken, and was no longer attatched to the latch-- effectively permanently locking the door. I made a small hook on the end of a piece of light gauge wire and I was eventually able to fish the spring out. Once the spring was out, I saw that it was only the hook on one end of the spring that had broken, so I just bent a new hook.

Now came the difficult part- putting the spring back. I wrapped a piece of light gauge wire around the top hook on the spring and lowered it down into the door. I then spent the next half an hour trying to get it hooked onto the lock mechanism before finally succeeding. Once it was hooked on the lock mechanism I had to hook the top onto the latch-- much easier.

It turns out I attatched the wire to the spring too well, and couldn't get it unhooked, so I used some long nosed snips and cut it off as short as possible.

If I hadn't been able to insert the spring the way I did, I would've needed to pretty much completely disassemble the door to pull the whole latch assembly out since the window runner blocks access to the latch ( to take out the runner, you have to remove the window, which necessitates removing the power window motor... you get the picture).

-Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts