Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
greekin'8ez
'90' camry custom
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey i got a '90' camry thats white and im on my way to making it look like a 91. i already upgraded the lights, and made them all red, painted the mirrors,i got clear turn signals, custom eyebrows and my next project will be painting the bumpers white but when i do i dont kno if i should paint the moldings too. so gimme ur opinions guys..

·
幻影
673 Posts
Umm, well, if you're trying to get the "oh-so-amazing" gen 2.5 look, then you don't need to paint the moldings. It would make the car look a little better if you did paint them, but the best results would be by removing the plastic and filling it in with body filler, and then painting it. Just be careful where you park so no jackass scratches up your door.

·
greekin'8ez
'90' camry custom
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes ok thank you cause im not sure if it will look right with too much white, you kno what i mean? ill get pics soon after im done it and u tell me what u think...

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
i don't get it the 90 camry is the gen2.5 and it looks just like the 91.. the 87-89 looks different from the 90-91 ones you are probbly confused with the models i think the V6 had painted door moldings while the DX doesn't

·
greekin'8ez
'90' camry custom
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont know cause on the title it says 1990 camry, dx, the car is white but it had black mirrors, black bumpers, black moldings, and the tail lights with a lot of yellow. the previous owner had crashed it so maybe he bought the bumpers and etc from the junkyard.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,848 Posts
atobe said:
i don't get it the 90 camry is the gen2.5 and it looks just like the 91.. the 87-89 looks different from the 90-91 ones you are probbly confused with the models i think the V6 had painted door moldings while the DX doesn't
There were a number of minor changes through the gen2 Camrys...

3 piece to 1 piece bumpers in '89
folding or non-folding mirrors
tail lights (in mid '90)
emblems (in mid '90)
front chin spoiler (in '91)

Stuff like that... they all didn't happen on year boundrys, and there is no clear 'gen2.5' like the later gens.... In my opinion, at least...

For the original poster - if you can shave the mouldings, do that... if not, I'd leave them black. :)

-Charlie

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
91 DX & LE Camrys had body colored bumpers. I test drove them then but didn't buy cause I saw the Gen 3s. I waited another year and actually went with a Civic Si which I regretted.

I say go ahead and paint everything, just use the right paint for plastic. I don't think there were enough changes to make a .5 designation.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
amerikim said:
91 DX & LE Camrys had body colored bumpers. I test drove them then but didn't buy cause I saw the Gen 3s. I waited another year and actually went with a Civic Si which I regretted.

I say go ahead and paint everything, just use the right paint for plastic. I don't think there were enough changes to make a .5 designation.

even on the DX it was still just an option. My DX has all the options except power mirrors, sun roof and body colored moldings. All the extras, velour interior, power windows/locks, split fold rear seat.

I would suggest leaving the molding on, its a pain in the ass to take it off, and its easy to break the clips that hold it on when you do get it off. Also, ive seen people that have taken it off and filled in the gaps, personally i think it looks terrible, camry is too flat to not have that break in the middle.

·
greekin'8ez
'90' camry custom
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do u think i should buy like a lexan type paint thats flexible?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts