Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Camry XLE
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about the 2AR-FE

Isn't this the 4 cylinder we find in the 2014 Camry..
How would you rate this engine?

Also is the 6 speed tranny that Toyota attached to the 4 cylinder the same as the one for the 6 cylinder?

Really just trying to see if I made a wise choice by trading in my 2012 Toyota Corolla LE (Had 15,000 miles on it)..

You see, I wanted to upgrade to leather and the local dealer had the 4 cylinder 2014 Camry XLE sitting on the showroom floor.

In the general forum there is an active discussion about the best and the worst of Toyota, so I began researching the different engines.

the articles and videos on the engine knocks are worrisome..
Like this one:

Is this really something we need to worry about?

Should I have purchased the 6 cylinder instead?

·
Registered
2014 Camry SE Silver
968 Posts
My 2014 doesn't have this knocking problem but at a cold start but if I reverse my caroutside of my garage & then put the car in park it idles a bit loud for like 10 secs or less. I thought that was the knocking problem people were hearing but it wasn't.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Help me here ... I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to be listening for. It sounds like a perfectly normal Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, BMW, Chevy, Dodge, Rolls Royce, Ferrari ... you get the idea ... engine to me. There is absolutely nothing to be "worried about" with that video you posted.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The grinding noise at cold startup is fixed (well, mostly) by a TSB out for it. At least for 2012 models. The video linked above sounds completely normal for any fuel injected engine.

The I4 is a good engine for city driving. It's not the best on the market, but it's quiet and decently powerful.

Transmissions are the same between V6 and I4 aside from the final drive ratio. It may get on your nerves with the busy, constant shifting compared to the 4-speed auto in the Corolla...but dropping the transmssion into "Sport (S6)" mode does tend to improve shifting, responsiveness, and reduce hunting for gears.

The Camry is a HUGE improvement over the Corolla...going from a buzzy, gutless rental 2013 Corolla back to the Camry, I was astounded how much better the Camry felt to drive.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,947 Posts
I hear no ticking. I mean there is some, but at the normal level. I had a "cold start" grinding noise, but switched to 0-30 oil and the noise practically disappeared.
you should hear my neighbor's 2013 Mini Countryman; that thing sound like a diesel with 200K on it...:eek:
I've driven 10-13 corolla and test drove 2014 S and LE. Don't worry, you did good, the camry is a huge step up even from a 2014 rollas.

·
Conkatonk
2012 Toyota Camry SE
149 Posts
the little "tick tick tick" you are hearing is most likely one of two things...

The fuel injectors
or
the valves

needless to say, you're safe. If a fuel injector is dirty, you will get loss of performance, and terrible fuel efficiency, if the valves are sticking or dry, it will be a very distinct "tink tink tink tink" like metal is hitting metal very fast.

just make sure you use good fuel, and do a regular oil change at every 5,000 miles. change the filter as well.

Enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.