Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

What do you think about Denso Products?
O2 Sensors or Spark Plugs or MAF Sensor?
Looking at changing some things and I can see that DENSO Branded box is cheaper then Toyota. Although DENSO OEM for Toyota.
Is it worthwhile to get it from dealer or buy DENSO Branded?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
602 Posts
Do you think Denso sells Toyota a product that is superior to what they sell under their own name?
IMHO, that would be impressively stupid.
However, if you like the box that says TOYOTA better than the box that says DENSO, by all means, buy Toyota.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Riick,
That is not what I was trying to say, just asking for honest opinion from forum members here

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Denso ONLY for all vehicle critical parts whether that is MAF, O2, spark plugs, or coil packs. Where you want to buy it, that is your own choice.
Thanks Vangm25.
That's the plan
I know it sounds naive, just wanted to make sure there is no difference on Toyota Boxed VS Denso boxed. :)

·
イリジウム
12,043 Posts
Yeah and since Denso moved some production to China (such as radiators) their prices dropped too. No sense using more expensive parts now if they aren’t OEM.

Of course, unless you’d rather spend more for the Toyota logo! ;)

i still prefer NGK for all ignition parts however. Get them at rockauto and use the 5% discount code.

·
Registered
108 Posts
OEM or not, one has to look at failure rates for particular parts.

After my personal experience with Denso ignition coils on a 1999 Jaguar I once owned they are the last brand I'd pick as my first choice (whether or not Toyota did). Now, I will openly admit that my personal experience could be an outlier on the bell curve, but the idea that it's Denso or nothing makes no sense. Denso is well-known and has a good reputation overall, but so does NGK and so do a number of other top-tier aftermarket (from the perspective of Toyota, but OEM for others) brands.

·
Various Toyotas
4,690 Posts
I've never had any problems with Denso (Aisin and Advics as well) aftermarket products. As far as I can tell they usually are equal in quality to the parts from the Toyota parts counter, but at a greatly reduced price. I replaced my original A/C compressor at 185K miles with a new Denso "first time fit" aftermarket compressor. I now have 385K miles on the vehicle, so the replacement Denso compressor has lasted longer than the original Toyota/Denso compressor. I've purchased a couple of Denso aftermarket radiators for family members' cars, and I know one of them was made in Taiwan, but I'm not sure where the other more recent one was manufactured. China? Taiwan? From what I understand, even some genuine original Toyota parts are made in China now. I've purchased other Denso aftermarket items as well, all with ZERO problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My experience is that Denso makes great parts. However, just want to generically caution regarding difference between OEM and OE, they are not always the same for the industry. Possibly, they are for Denso, I don't know.

·
Various Toyotas
4,690 Posts
My experience is that Denso makes great parts. However, just want to generically caution regarding difference between OEM and OE, they are not always the same for the industry. Possibly, they are for Denso, I don't know.
Right. For those who need clarification:

OE: Original Equipment. These are the parts you will get from the Toyota dealer parts counter and are the parts (or the updated parts) Toyota installed at the factory when your car was built. The parts will come in red/white packaging that reads "Toyota" with a Toyota part number.

OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer. These are replacement parts for your car that are made by the same company that provides the OE parts to the automaker. As @djgkdg was stating, these parts aren't necessarily EXACTLY the same as the OE. Often they are, though. Denso, Aisin, Advics, etc, usually are the exact same part, just doesn't display "Toyota" on it and often won't have the Toyota part number stamped on it. As an example, I've purchased Aisin water pumps. It's the exact same part as the OE part, except the "Toyota" stamping had been very precisely removed with a professionally applied grinder. Literally the same part, just without the Toyota name. Other Denso parts might not be EXACT (like the Denso aftermarket "First Time Fit") but they are high quality in my experience.

In many circumstances, you'll have off-brand parts that were made by the OEM or by the OEM supplier (like how Beck/Arnley claims for their parts) but they might be made with a lower level (doesn't mean "poor" level) of materials or manufacturing standards and not necessarily made in the same factory. You can have parts made in the same factory by the same OEM, but they won't be necessarily exactly the same in quality sometimes.

You usually can't go wrong with Denso, Advics, and Aisin aftermarket products, though, and in my experience I've never gone wrong with those brands.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If I remember correctly, Delphi is another OE brand. I could however, be mistaken. Denso is almost never a bad choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,533 Posts
Purchased my first Toyota in 1967 and have never had a problem with Denso products. Any mechanical devil wear and degrade with use and Denso product are no exception.Denso products are as good as any other brand. DENSO

·
Registered
94 Posts
Toyota doesn't outright own Denso as one of their subsidiaries but they do own a 25% share. Denso supplies parts to pretty much every manufacturer in the world. A Denso part is essentially the same thing you will get from a Toyota dealer. The Denso factory that makes the part isn't going to run separate lines or factories for Toyota or any other manufacturer. The only thing that maybe different is the printing on the label that has a Toyota part number. But I don't think things such as O2 sensors even have a Toyota part number since they aren't unique to Toyota. Even on a brand new Toyota these types of parts usually just say Denso, no Toyota name or logo. Alternators or compressors have the Toyota name or logo because the positioning of mounting bolts and connections are unique to the vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Denso should be fine.

As for OEM vs OE, I experienced that when getting KYB suspension parts for my Outback, and they were nowhere near same quality as the ones originally on the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys.

Looking at changing some things and I can see that DENSO Branded box is cheaper then Toyota. Although DENSO OEM for Toyota.

double check the oem manufacture but in the case of like toyota i think they are the oem manufacture and you should not have any issues

·
イリジウム
12,043 Posts
Yeah I’ve heard crappy KYB top mounts. Then again, Denso is partly owned by Toyota, I don’t think Toyota has any skin in KYB (aka. Keep Your Bilsteins).

I’d say for the most part they’re identical, but keep in mind there are exceptions.

(I guess this is just another example why I think KYB sucks ;) )

Denso should be fine.

As for OEM vs OE, I experienced that when getting KYB suspension parts for my Outback, and they were nowhere near same quality as the ones originally on the vehicle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi guys.

Denso is good stuff. Swear by them for ignition parts and sensors. Are they always the same as OE? Not necessarily. NGK is just as good, hard to tell any difference in quality. Just to add, I've ordered some Airtex/Wells parts and found an OE Toyota part in the box. Denso spark plugs appear to have the edge in quality. They're even endorsed by top fuel drag racing teams as having 0 failures. While that may just be the marketing mumbo jumbo, I've seen them perform better than any other plug especially in the area of the ground electrode wear over 100k miles. Have seen many NGK and other brand plugs where the ground electrode starts to burn through over time where Denso's don't.

·
Various Toyotas
4,690 Posts
Just to add, I've ordered some Airtex/Wells parts and found an OE Toyota part in the box.
Very interesting. I didn't know that about Airtex/Wells. Not specifically about Toyota OE parts, but one TN member reported buying a part at AutoZone and in the package was a made in Japan part, which is kinda surprising since most of their junk comes from China. Beck/Arnley too has mostly Chinese/Indian/or other countries, but every once in a while you'll get a made in Japan part. Same for Fel-Pro. Not often enough, though.

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,117 Posts
OEM or not, one has to look at failure rates for particular parts.

After my personal experience with Denso ignition coils on a 1999 Jaguar I once owned they are the last brand I'd pick as my first choice (whether or not Toyota did). Now, I will openly admit that my personal experience could be an outlier on the bell curve, but the idea that it's Denso or nothing makes no sense. Denso is well-known and has a good reputation overall, but so does NGK and so do a number of other top-tier aftermarket (from the perspective of Toyota, but OEM for others) brands.
This +100.

Denso is a great brand but do not think they are perfect. While I do still shoot for Denso, I do my homework first.

Also interesting to hear Jaguar using Denso. I would have thought Bosch but maybe that comes when BMW owned Land Rover for a short period of time. Those are some terrible coils lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts