Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
opinions on setup for 2001 camry

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry and I'm looking into buying a system but I want people opinions first...

Sub: JL 10"W7

Amps: JL 500/1 and 300/4 for speakers

Speakers: Infinity Kappa 693.5i for the rears and MB Quart PCE216 for the fronts

Headunit: Alpine CDA-9833

give me your opinions please...

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
Sounds good to me, I've heard good things about the Kappa and the Quart series.

Just make sure you don't over power the front\rear speakers with the amp, although i'm not sure the max power ratings for the two.

Sounds good overall :thumbup:

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Not bad. Want to buy my amps? I have those 2 amps for sale. I'll sell them both for 600$ plus shipping. :cool:

·
Registered
Highlander
1,547 Posts
MBQuart and JLs are fine, but why do you need 3-ways for the rear? I'd keep the factory and just use it as fill, you're not sitting back there anyway. Put the 10W7 in a slot-ported box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have thought about doing but people have told me it's better to just upgrade all your speakers...

Why do you recommend the w7 in a slot ported box over a sealed one? Aren't w7's better in a sealed box?

·
Registered
Highlander
1,547 Posts
It's not a necessity to upgrade the rear speakers. Again, how often will you be sitting in the back?

If you can hear the difference, you'll know why. ;) Slot-ported box gives a deeper sound. But if your music is something like 135 bpm, then a sealed box would probably be better to keep the rhythm in phase.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
If your only going to run 500 wattts to that sub, go ported, but if you decide to run anything over 1000 go sealed, even 750 watts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I disagree - when youre pushing your speakers with an amp, its definitely an advantage to replace the rear speakers as well as front speakers. if that 300W/4ch amp pushes out 75W per speaker, you could easily blow your factory speakers. thats not even mentioning the sound difference you will have. Granted this is a 2001 so the factory speakers arent that bad anyways, but to say that you should upgrade the front speakers and not the back ones is just silly. Usually you can hear the rear speakers more than the front ones anyways.

Your setup sounds nice...good choice for speakers and Alpine radios are always nice

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
JohnCWms27 said:
Usually you can hear the rear speakers more than the front ones anyways.
that is really bad for a sound system, sound should always come from the front.

My advise is run the factory speakers off the HU power, and bi wire you componets with the 4 channel amp

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't agree with leaving unamped stock rear speakers in a Corolla. The car is too small. If this is your option I'd say just disconnect them completely or replace them. Just because you have upgraded speakres doesn't mean you can't turn the gains down to the rear or off when no one is back there. I personally prefer the sound of a stereo setup. I turn the gains down some on my rears and fade to the front.

·
Registered
Highlander
1,547 Posts
JohnCWms27 said:
Granted this is a 2001 so the factory speakers arent that bad anyways, but to say that you should upgrade the front speakers and not the back ones is just silly. Usually you can hear the rear speakers more than the front ones anyways.
How is that silly? If he weren't using a sub, then upgrading the rear speakers would be nice to cover the lower end. But since he's using a 10W7, what's the point of having upgraded rear? The factory will do just fine, which the gain on that channel can be turned down. It's all about proper tuning. Why would you want to hear the rears when you're sitting up front? It's the front stage that you want to hear. Ever notice the rear channels on the JL 500/5 which only has 25-W, whereas the front channels is 100-W. Why do you think JL did it that way? How about the legendary Xtant 3300, why are the rear channels running off "phantom power"?

Where does the microphone get placed when they're RTAing? In the back near the rear speakers? Now that would be silly.

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
I'm not gonna get into staging blah blah blah...I will however speak from personal experience after being advised by very knowledgable members here (ie. Luc and Eddie). I removed my rear 6x9s completely and now just run front comps and subs. It sounds so much better. I thought I'd miss the rear fill, but I don't. Like Luc and Eddie said, you can't hear the rears while sitting in the front anyways...or should I say you shouldn't!

Try it both ways and see which one you like better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think that everyone has thier own opinion of how a "car" should sound. Some like it to sound like a concert with everything coming from the front because they think it seems more natural. Others like to have a little come from the rear because they just like how it sounds. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with either preference.

I used t be really into car audio several years ago. And my vehicle then was set up with only front speakers for mids and highs. It sounded great and always got a lot of complements. However, these days, I like to have a little sound coming from the rear. I just like the way it sounds. That doesn't mean that it is wrong.

This is only my humble opinion.

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
Phi said:
I'm not gonna get into staging blah blah blah...I will however speak from personal experience after being advised by very knowledgable members here (ie. Luc and Eddie). I removed my rear 6x9s completely and now just run front comps and subs. It sounds so much better. I thought I'd miss the rear fill, but I don't. Like Luc and Eddie said, you can't hear the rears while sitting in the front anyways...or should I say you shouldn't!

Try it both ways and see which one you like better.
Me too, well except I have no subs. Pulling the 6x9s out will let bass get into the cabin easier so it'll be clearer and louder.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My humble opinion on the subject is the speakers in the rear gives a full round sound. I tried having that sound stage setup and didn't like I didin't go through extensive in the research and development as other but through my trial and error my preference in sound is having some mid bass in the rear no need to add tweets and slam the front with speakers and tweets. I personally like the sound of surround sound in the car because it is smaller space.
If you listen to all types of music you will find a song or two that will give you a swirlling (sp.) sound affect that you won't get from a all front stage setup. Music that may switch from front to rear left and right in a matter of seconds will not sound great in setup based entirely in the front.
So like Machman is saying it is all an opinion of how you listen to music. I think is no one is really right or wrong in this situation or in the way you setup your system, just a recommended way.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
The swirling sound is incorrect imaging, music is played in stereo not quadrophonic. the swirling effect you are hearing is the delay pattern of waves to your ears not in alignment with the front speakers. Trust me I listen to alot of trance and and I get alot of ambience with just front speakers.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm not saying at one time but the artist may have put the sound from front to rear left to right. Don't get me wrong I understand what you guys are saying. But just understanding from a producers point of view when he/she made the song with a 4 or 5 speaker setup.

It's all preference

·
Wazzaaap!
307 Posts
I agree that having rear speakers make the music more full. But it is impossible (unless you have some kind of dolby decoder in your car) to get music coming independentyly from front to back. CD's only have the capability to play in stereo (left and right), not surround sound. You would need to play dvd's to get independent music from all 4 of your speakers. So any music you hear from say your front right and rear right speakers should be playing the EXACT same thing.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
I'm going to add my .02 here. Irealize that the general sq consensus is that the front stage is where it's at and the rear is unimportant, I personally disagree, and quite strongly. However, my opinion means nothing in the face of yours particularly in your car. Isuggest that you find some friends who will let you set in their car and try moving the sound around. If you find that the rear sound is muddled to you then you know that the front stage is what you need, if you, like me, enjoy being rapped in your music and don't really plan on entering any contests then just go with what sounds best to you, ALWAYS go with what sounds best to you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is my system, JL recomended a slot ported box for me. Realising the system I have, I'm still knida new at the "Kick butt" system setup info, so I went with what JL suggested.

2002 Echo, interior lighting work, 2" drop, rims, scorchers, Clarion VRX935VD, 2 - 1100w menphis amp's, 800w menphis amp, 6 - 2" JL audio tweet's, 4 - 5.25" JL audio VR525-CXi, 2 - 13" W7 sub's
PS2 connected and hidden in passenger seat map drawer.

as for 6x9 rears.......you shouldn't need them, let alone be able to hear good backfill sound. Given the system and my limited knoledge, I had a JL rep. do the install:eek::. Alpine is a killer HD choice along with your JL sub, but why not keep the JL going? My 5.25 evolutions are awesome, I'm incredably happy with my system. Although eddiem67's post as got me wondering about a sealed box now....................dang. :confused:

Taking all that in to consideration 97avalonxls said it right, its your system so set it up the way you want it. You'll be listening to it more than anyone. Happy shopping:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts