Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boro Box Pilot
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
say if u put on a supercharger and u track it pretty often...is it wise considering that the s/c puts a lot of paracidic drag on the motor? also generates a lot more heat.........and that the only source of fuel management for the s/c is an fmu?

....b/c i'm considering JRSC :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have no clue what you're referring to.

However, when I'm at a road course, most of the time, the car that most likely has engine trouble is something turbo. Most Subaru's seem to survive just fine though. If the boost is low enough, and the oil stays cool enough, you'll be fine. That's what I can tell you. If you're an RX7, be careful. I've seen a lot of those die on the track and shoot fluid everywhere, that's not fun.

·
not actual size
Camry
1,899 Posts
Well, I can't really speak to reliability or not, but from what I've seen and talked to with FI people at autocross it really depends on the course, for the performance aspect.

If you've got a lot of low speed turns the boosted application can hurt your times, since you spend so much time out of boost (depending on where it comes on). One recourse is to drop a gear to get the revs up, but then you're 1) wasting time with a shift when you'd really like to just find a gear you can stay in, and 2) possibly getting into a gear that really isn't going to give you as much power as you'd like anyway, due to the gear ratios. If you can tinker with it to get boost to hit at 2500rpm instead of, say, 3k, then that would help a lot.

Also, I don't know for sure but I'm guessing s/c would be a little easier to handle versus t/c since the power is more linear. So, even though you might have less power at a certain rev with the supercharged application, since it's more predictable and feels more consistent, you'd probably get better times than with a turbo where it seems you're almost fighting the turbo, given the boost curve.

·
Boro Box Pilot
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ this is for a road course... the only thing i'm concerned about is excess heat. if i didnt go s/c then i'd swap out the motor once i blow this one up(shouldnt be hard anyways :D ).

the jrsc does not have an intercooler or any other form of cooling for that matter.... which really sucks. and i personally consider 4psi being low boost....but this is 6psi...i guess it's still low :eek:: :confused:

·
Premium Member
Supra
3,621 Posts
A couple of tricks to help cooling in boosted/overboosted applications:

1) Radiator. Find, or have made, an aluminum rad. If you have the space, double the thickness. They are not really cheap, but are cheaper than blowing it up from an overheat. Koyo has quite a few off the shelf for Toyota applications, but they are pretty pricey. Water wetter is also a fine additive, thoguh the gunk it can leave behind is a bit messy.

2) mount a (larger) oil cooler with a thermostat. The additional oil in the system and the temp control will help. Switch to synthetics if you haven't already

3) ensure any factory cooling device is up to the task. This means engine bay undercovers, fan coming on at correct temps, thermostat is new, rad cap is new.

4) to better evacuate heat from the engine bay, an old trick was to remove the weather stripping at the back of the hood, and shim it up with a washer or 2. You shouldn't notice the height difference, but the hot air has an extra escape hatch. Can introduce warm air to the cabin however, as the climate control intake is also right there. It's not bad however.

5) Intercooling may reduce cooling effectiveness if you go front mount. At 6psi, I'd recommend one. Below that, IMO, they don't help enough to matter. Over that, they should get big fast to keep up. You could consider a MK IV supra side mount IC or similar feom a 3000GT, and use a little scoop to pull under car air up into it. You side mount to free the rad face, and get cooler boost. Win win in my books...

All I can think of at the moment...

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.