Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Corolla S
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apologies if there's already a ton of info out there about my topic. I currently own a 2000 Corolla (which I love), and looking into selling it and possibly buying either a Camry or Solara with the V6. Looking for something roomier and with a little more power. I'd like to know what the opinions are of this engine. Is it pretty reliable? Is it an oil burner? What MPG would I expect? Transmission just as reliable as on Corollas? Any information is appreciated. The car I'm interested in has 190k miles, but it comes from one owner and appears well maintained. I know more about the Corolla and love how they feel, shift, and drive. I was always content with 4 cylinder engines, but I think it may be time for a change :D The V6 doesnt look very easy to work on tho, and after reading about the timing belt, I dont think its something I want to try and replace by myself.

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
to expand no the previous comment.:rolleyes:

lets just say its faster to explan the things that are wrong with it, then the things that arent. working on the motor, especially front side or right bank is a bit of a PITA. the design of it has it tilted back toward teh fire wall for, among other things, better weight distribution.

thats it. they not not prone to any serious problems. any issues we see here are flukes either by specific motor or a result of mantainiance. yes there will be issues eventually but they are few and far between. not to mention, parts a pretty cheap. now id be hesitant to say the engine and tranny are as reliable as the rolla, but it is pretty close.

·
Registered
2013 Corolla S
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
now id be hesitant to say the engine and tranny are as reliable as the rolla, but it is pretty close.
Is it pretty common for the Camry or Solara to have more engine or tranny problems as compared to a Corolla? The cars I'm interested in right now are 2000-2002 with the V6, and the one I'm going to look at has almost 200k miles. My Corolla is running perfect with no problems. Looks great for its age so I'm definitely not totally sure yet if I will sell. But it still wouldnt hurt to go look at the other car and drive it.

If it runs/drives ok, should I be hesitant at all to buy this car with all those miles? I have read very little about major mechanical problems with Corollas, and just want to know if there's a consensus that Camry's/Solara's are less reliable, specifically the V6 engine and its transmission.

Anyone have a V6 Camry or Solara with close to, or over 200k miles?

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
i have a V6 97 Avalon- pretty similar to the Camry- i think same motor and everthing (might be wrong) i have 153,000 on mine and it runs absolutely great! shifts fine and there has never been shifting problems.i have had some major work done to it though- the entire power steering system replaced. however, that is the only major repair that it has required. after that, it is mechanically perfect now! KNOCK ON WOOD!:D

·
Registered
2013 Corolla S
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a 2002 black fully loaded V6, for $4500. Mostly highway miles according to the owner, who purchased the car new AFAIK. Good deal?

I'm going to go see it, then decide. As you may imagine, part of me is hesitant on getting rid of my 114k mile Corolla. If I am not totally happy with the car I'm gonna go see, I will keep the Corolla and just keep saving money until I can afford the low mileage Solara I really want.

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
that seems to be too high for that. id be looking for 150k for 4500. you can get a 99 solara with fewer miles for less.

Is it pretty common for the Camry or Solara to have more engine or tranny problems as compared to a Corolla? The cars I'm interested in right now are 2000-2002 with the V6, and the one I'm going to look at has almost 200k miles. My Corolla is running perfect with no problems. Looks great for its age so I'm definitely not totally sure yet if I will sell. But it still wouldnt hurt to go look at the other car and drive it.

If it runs/drives ok, should I be hesitant at all to buy this car with all those miles? I have read very little about major mechanical problems with Corollas, and just want to know if there's a consensus that Camry's/Solara's are less reliable, specifically the V6 engine and its transmission.

as i had said vaguely before, i would be hesitant about calling it as reliable as a corolla. the rolla is one of the worlds most reliable road going vehicles, so trying to find something as relaible is not gonna happen. theres more stuff on a camry, and more stuff on a 1mz so more things can break. I would even go as far as to say it its NOT as relaible, but there are plenty out there that have well over 200K miles before anything significant needs replacing.

If your looking for justification to ditch your "little pig" for something more powerful or bigger, dont consider relaibility much. while the 1mz camry and solara are VERY reliable, your not gonna beat a well maintained rolla. period.

if its any consolation, my 1mz has just shy of 200k and has had 0 major problems, and im running a supercharger.

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
I'd say go with the V6 - Solara if you can find one, but the camry's good as well. 1MZ's are generally very good motors, from what I've heard (3vz owner), but if you're really attached to your Rolla, might be a better idea to just turbo it if you're looking for more power... it's up to you :)

·
Registered
2013 Corolla S
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I decided to just wait and keep driving my car until I can afford the one I want, with a tad fewer miles. I am very attached to it. Its been a great car, and looks great for the age :)

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
they are great cars, and to be honest, if i wanted something a little mroe fun to drive, id consider taking your already very light rolla and playing around with it a little. maybe not screwing with teh engine or tranny much, but when it comes time to replace suspension parts, use it as an excuse to upgrade stuff to make the drive more fun.

·
Registered
2013 Corolla S
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guys I went to see and drive the 02 Solara. Owned by an older guy, it drove and ran perfect. Has a fresh oil leak coming from somewhere but couldnt pin point it as I forgot to bring my flashlight :facepalm: I was pretty content with the appearance and that it doesnt look like it needs any major repairs.

So I'm back to considering. lol. Is it kinda common for the V6 to need head gaskets when having a lot of miles? Just wondering because I've seen 2 or 3 ads now that said head gaskets have been done.

I've also been getting some interest in my Corolla, even tho its priced higher than KBB, so it should sell eventually. Another incentive to that, and buying the Solara, would be that after both transactions are done, I'd have several hundred bucks left in my pocket. The owner of that car is willing to go less than $4500.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
I'm also searching for a V6 Camry, although, an older one. I'd say that if you could get it down to say... $3700ish... Take it. I'd still say WAIT for something "perfect". I see new cars alllllllll the time that I like even after ones that I MUST HAVE get sold. :lol:

At 200,000 miles oil leaks do star to like to appear with the 1mz-fe V6 engine. Head gaskets are usually a good idea for preventative maintaince (along with other major seals, if needed). Of course, oil changes, water pumps, and timing belts should also be done. Suspension would be another concern at 200,000 miles. Stuff might be wearing out if it's all original. Brakes are prolly fine. CV joints and axles need to be checked on. Maybe an entire drain and fill of ALL fluids if it's never been done. Emissions issues are fairly common, but usually easy to fix. The 1mz had a nasty habit of building up carbon quickly. Other than those few minor issues.... the 1mz is SOLID.

Major point: hold onto what you have until the ideal car shows up.

·
slpr1mz FTW :-)
a family car
309 Posts
i have a gen4 camry. and i love it. i got the car at 120K about 3yrs ago w/ a few minor issues. but i've fixed them all and learned so much doing so. driving every day, city traffic to highway driving i'm now at 210k w/ no major problems, but i do take good care of it, making sure all my fluids are good, checkin for leaks. and i track it once a month. i take it mountain driving and its a good reliable car. yea, more can go wrong with it, but the camry community on the forum is amazing. anything you need you can find some one to help you.

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
Well guys I went to see and drive the 02 Solara. Owned by an older guy, it drove and ran perfect. Has a fresh oil leak coming from somewhere but couldnt pin point it as I forgot to bring my flashlight :facepalm: I was pretty content with the appearance and that it doesnt look like it needs any major repairs.

So I'm back to considering. lol. Is it kinda common for the V6 to need head gaskets when having a lot of miles? Just wondering because I've seen 2 or 3 ads now that said head gaskets have been done.

I've also been getting some interest in my Corolla, even tho its priced higher than KBB, so it should sell eventually. Another incentive to that, and buying the Solara, would be that after both transactions are done, I'd have several hundred bucks left in my pocket. The owner of that car is willing to go less than $4500.
Not for mid-2000s and up when Toyota switched to very reliable MLS (multi-layered steel) head gaskets. They (any of the 1MZs) shouldn't need head gaskets unless the owner really neglected the engine. If the motor has ever been overheated, stay away from it. Aluminum blocks don't take kindly to being overheated.

The 1MZ is a smooth motor. I can't even believe Toyota used a liquid motor mount on it. In my MR2 with your run of the mill rubber mounts, this engine has very little vibration at idle. It's wonderful. My old 200k 5SFE, bounced around in the engine bay. :lol: But, that was down to a lot of factors, notably the condition of the engine.

I will say, though, that at WOT, it makes my MR2's rear squat quite heavily. :) It appears the MR2 doesn't have any anti-squat suspension geometry for torquey motors.

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
Seems to me everybody forgot about sludge issue in 1MZ 97-01....
And 4.5K for 190K car is WAY too much, imho.

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
Seems to me everybody forgot about sludge issue in 1MZ 97-01....
And 4.5K for 190K car is WAY too much, imho.
Overactive EGR system, iirc. I'm pretty sure there's a way around it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts