Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Camry LE
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was doing a tune up of my 09 camry with an 2.4L engine due to a rough idle problem i have been having , and I noticed alot of orange coloured dust in one of the 4 spark plug tubes, i mean ALOT of it while the other 3 were dust free. I tried my best to clean it out and inspected the spark plugs all seems to be fine. what could be the cause of the dust??? any ideas are much appreciated. Thank you.

Don

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,777 Posts
In late 2009 or 2010 Toyota did a recall on Scion xB ignition coils for water leaks.

I wonder is your Camry Japan built?

Reactions: lanneretwing

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Camry V6
1,296 Posts
Orange dust usually is rust. Did you have your engine washed? My friend got his corolla's engine pressured washed last week and after he had a bad misfire because the water left inside was shorting out to ground on the block. Im not saying thats what caused your rough idle. I would switch the coil with another coil and check back later to see if it has any orange dust.

·
Registered
2009 Camry LE
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for all your inputs. i do rince my engine with low pressure garden hose just to get the cover clean and some of the salt off from the winter driving. I switched the dirty ignition coil with another one going to see what happens. i thought those things are water sealed...

On the rough idle part i suspect it's an engine mount. when I switch between N aand D ad R my engine actually moves about 2 innhes back and forth..... is that suppose to happen? ???

Oh and my camry is america built

·
Registered
2009 Camry LE
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i doubt it's rust because nothing else is rusted that badly to produce the amount of orange dust that's there. and the fact that the coil is working properly... regardless, going to change my spark plugs and coils since my car has 150k KM on it, just to be on the safe side =)

I wonder if Donald is right , coils leaking high amount of energy will turn plastic surface to orange dust? as the dust stained the coil's black plastic covers orange.....

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,777 Posts
I wouldn't change coils as maintenance.

For one they are expensive and two they rarely fail near your age/mileage.

Your plugs aren't due until around 190,000KM (120,000 miles).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.