Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What other engines would fit on the 84 pickup with minimal modifications to the body/frame and/or engine? I was thinking of a 350/305. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Small block V8's are not that easily installed. They usually require some mods to fit. The largest, easiest fit is a Chev 4.3 V6, they fit quite nicely.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Some of the earlier Ford V8's like the 289, or is it 283?, are pretty small and might fit. Nearly any V6 should go, but like Toy283 said, the 4.3 chevy v6 has already been done and complete kits are available. Since you have the 22R tranny(I don't know the number) and not the V6 tranny, you might want to consider getting the tranny from the donor vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, ive looked into that as well.... i figured the stock tranny would be have its insides liquified by a v6 or v8

·
Registered
49 Posts
alltrac165 said:
Some of the earlier Ford V8's like the 289, or is it 283?, are pretty small and might fit.
A 289 fits no better (or worse) than a 302 or 351W, they are all the same on the outside. Just like my 283 is identical on the outside to a 350 or 400, the differences are all internal. Now, a V6 will obviously fit a bit better because they are shorter which helps when trying to cram a V8 and a thick, 4-core radiator into a cramped engine bay.

A stock Toyota tranny (at least a W or R series) will usually hold up quite well to domestic V6 swaps. V8's just have too much torque and Toyota trannies tend to be short-lived as a result.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
^hmmm, ok. I coulda swore I saw a baby Ford V8 somewhere that had a smaller block than the 302-351 family, maybe I'm remembering wrong.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When it comes to Fords, I admit certain (sometimes large) gaps in my knowledge. I do know that 289-302-351W are essentially the same block. There are others I don't know where they fit like a 260. There are older series of GM V8's that will fit very nicely as well. I've always thought the all aluminum 215 Buick/Olds engine would be awesome but they are getting very hard to find in any condition much less decent. This is the engine that British Leyland bought the rights to in the late 60's or early 70's. Since then it has become a staple of English cars and trucks, everything from the rare MGB GT V8 to current Landrovers.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Yep, I've seen those. A friend in highschool had a Rover something or another with that baby V8 in it. That car was cool as heck.
I always thought the Buick turbo V6 would be a good transplant as well, since it has a lot of aftermarket support, and is quite capable. I wanted to put one of those in a Triumph Spitfire, but I wound up selling the car when I had kids due to lack of time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have an '84 like the original poster, and there is a issue with the early 1984 tranny is not a strong as the later marginally stronger 1984 and up tranny. Supposedly, there is a an aluminum spacer that indicates the later tranny. These trannies have a weak second gear set, and are rated at less than 200#ft. The turbo trannies are stronger in the later years but are more $carce for already expensive project.

The transfer cases are plenty strong from all the reports out there.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Re: say what???

dmottaway said:
"I had kids due to lack of time." How does this work?
Read the whole sentence....

"I wanted to put one of those in a Triumph Spitfire, but I wound up selling the car when I had kids due to lack of time."

I sold the car due to lack of time, not had kids due to lack of time.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
English Grammer 101

Don't get excited - just teasing your poor grammer (sentence structure).

Compound sentence made of

"I wanted to put one of those in a Triumph Spitfire" +
"I wound up selling the car when I had kids due to lack of time."

The second phrase is also compound -

"I wound up selling the car"

Oh yeah. When?

"when I had kids due to lack of time."

I knew what you meant, but my father-in-law is an English professor and my father has multiple degrees, also. I am a only a HS graduate, but living with these two over educated individuals keeps me on my toes.

dave

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
^You need more hobbies...:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts