Discussion Starter #1
Compressor making noise...
Take for service...
Of course compressor, condenser etc...
1200 bucks, ouch!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Could it have possibly been just the compressor clutch, which can be replaced without evacuating the whole system? What is the year of your vehicle? Either way I feel your pain!

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,065 Posts
With cars these old, your best bet is almost always to go with parts from the salvage yard. A compressor for one of these can be had for less than 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
compressor is about $200 @RockAuto, plus a set of gauges and vacuum pump $100 amazon, then you need some R134a about 3 cans plus PAG 46 oil...might as well do the dryer $20 bucks amazon ...all in $400 to DIY

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had no desire to try that one myself or go without AC. Went with mechanics general recommendations and did the whole thing. That means compressor, condenser, expansion... Also time for a new belt.

Funny the idler puller failed within 10 minutes of being started. They fixed that for free!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly right! Besides, new rear spindles and trailing arms, brakes, shocks, bushings, plugs and coil packs in the last 14 months!
This baby goes nowhere but my driveway!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hear ya, got one of my own like that. Got Rock auto on Speed dial. What were your symptoms for bad rear hub/bearing/spindles?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bushings are embedded in the spindle and cannot be replaced. When they are gone and you go around a turn with a bump the whole rear end would 'wiggle' once or twice. It was kind of unnerving. The trailing arms are embedded as well so it only makes sense to do both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah, I forgot that I just replaced the wiper arms with a brand new factory set (got them cheap and mine had corroded coatings. Also added a color coded factory spoiler and replaced the factory mud flaps cuz' I stole those too! (Anybody need a spoiler installation template for free??)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most delightful day yesterday. I pull it into the driveway to clean the throttle body and when I warm it up afterwards I hear the sound I originally brought it in for, ITS THE ALTERNATOR PULLEY BEARING. 1200 bucks for something that didn't need to be fixed!!!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Get a mechanics stethoscope, then you can locate bearing noises yourself but be careful. I had a 1973 Alfa Romeo GTV that had a bearing noise, it was the front bearing in the alternator. I drove the car to work (Mercedes dealership in the Florida Keys) and took the alternator off and took it to a repair shop. The guy called me later and told me the bearing came apart when he was testing the unit, but it tested good and he replaced the bearing. I can;t remember the cost but it was minuscule compared to a new alternator. This was 1982, 37 years ago.

I have two mechs stethoscopes hanging in my garage, bought at garage sales. Hearing this repair fiasco makes me sick. It costs way too much to fix anything these days, BUT to "fix" something that is not even broke is especially bad. The idler bearing goes bad and they replace it for free? That was the first sign it was an unnecessary repair (the ac) and after reading the last episode, just get a mechs stethoscope and you can diagnose the problems yourself.

I know it's too late now, since you have replaced 6 bearings already (ac=3, alt =2, idler =1), but you still have the water pump and power steering pump and the stethoscope can be used to determine the location of many noises.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It wasn't a Toyota dealer but a company I've dealt with extensively in the last 8-10 years. I am sort of shocked as even without a 'scope it is fairy obvious since you all know it sits right up on top.

Do you think I should demand the alternator be fixed for free?!?!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ask first. Sometimes the compressors do go bad, so at least that's a selling point if you /when you get rid of it, or next summer no worries about sweating to death.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
It wasn't a Toyota dealer but a company I've dealt with extensively in the last 8-10 years. I am sort of shocked as even without a 'scope it is fairy obvious since you all know it sits right up on top.

Do you think I should demand the alternator be fixed for free?!?!
Well... you could break your relationship with them and find someone else...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Get the stethoscope and diagnose it yourself, then you know what to expect and know when you are being fed a bunch of crap. No way to know right now, could be either way, but for future reference arm yourself with diagnostic capability. You put the probe on a bad bearing, then on a good one, the difference is impossible to not hear easily. Idler usually goes first, but nothing is written in stone. A good long term relationship should not be easily discarded. Like Spock told the Air Force pilot, I trust you to a point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
6 Participants
Agent2005
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing