Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 sienna that has a very torn up boot on the steering rack so I purchased an aftermarket rack and pinion to replace and since I was at it, I decided to replace the outer tie rods as well. Upon receiving the items, they all fit just like the old parts except the new outer tie rods have locking nuts instead of the castle nuts and cotter pins that my van originally has. I did torque this locking nut to 36 foot pounds per chilton's repair guide. I'm a little concern of this locking nut working itself loose eventually though. Can anyone give me some input into this locking nut vs castle nut? Thank you

·
Registered
2005 Sienna XLE Ltd.
252 Posts
Locking nuts work very well when properly tightened, but again, you can always apply some Loctite to the threads. Blue is probably fine but go with red if you want.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On my '86 Nissan...I was going through this same thing.

I went to the Napa, Truevalue and Ace...they all had Castle Nuts (which you can use, if they aren't to tall)....some had slotted nuts....BTW, according to the bins, at the hardware store, a Slotted nut and a Castle Nut aren't the same thing.

I found help at the Advance Auto Parts....they could order a nut for some models.

Also, the Nissan dealer helped me. I thought that they'd never be able to get that nut. But, I ordered it over the phone and the next day it was there, AND...it was only 2 BUCKS!!! Everywhere else, those nuts were about 5 bucks.

To quote the "Princess Bride", inconceiveable.

·
イリジウム
11,942 Posts
Even Moog uses lock nuts looking on rock auto. Weird. But pictures can change, so with a Beck Arnley you still might get a lock but.

I too prefer castle nuts. I suggest OP to call Moog tech support and chat with the experts about lock nut vs castle nut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts