Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all,

I read through the many posts on the board with respect to head gaskets and my question is around replacing it or getting a re-built engine...

The local mechanic is going to charge me:

$400 to replace the water pump because because it is leaking.
$1300 to replace the head gasket because there is the presence of hyrdocarbons in the cooling system - indicating that there is a leak from the head gasket.
$300 to change the radiator b/c it is in poor condition and he won't warranty the work (12 months/12kmiles) if I don't change the radiator.

That is 2k to spend on this 92 camry with 143k miles. I just spent 700 to fix the A/C and convert it to 134.

The question sis should I spend the money to fix this or get a re-built engine with a new water pump and timing belt. If so, where can I get a re-built engine?

Everythign else in the car is in great shape including interior, new tires and brakes.

Thanks,
maneesh

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Go get some more quotes and diagnosis.

If you do get it all changed out, include a new timing belt and get your valve clearances checked. Maybe get a valve job, port and polishing, etc. Seems a shame to pull it all out and not get anything else done.

A new engine does not come with a radiator. Whats a reconditioned engine cost? + Installation of new engine?

·
Naturally Aggravated
77 Posts
go over to www.radiator.com and check it out. For an aftermarket radiator, it would be under 150 depending on the engine. You could change that yourself before going to the shop and save a bundle... shouldn't be difficult at all! Also amerikim is right, check around, that sounds a bit steep to me! Then again I do all my own work, so my mind thinks in terms of parts cost...

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am going to take it to someone else this friday...

I wouldn't mind changing the water pump and leaving it at that. I had the timing belt changed at 90k miles.

If I limit my driving to my work, which is 33 miles each way, I should be fine I'm guessing...

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
i know a new 1mzfe motor costs about +3400usd cause i already looked into it when i worked at the partstore and had my discount. so i bougt a newer motor for 1265usd instead and she's been running fine.

i would go to another shop if i were you

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where does one go to buy a used engine.. Any one know of a place is Jersey? What would be the approximate labor costs?

Thanks,
maneesh

·
Not so Noob now!
561 Posts
You might call Foreign Engines Inc. 1-800-552-1595. I'm not sure how much it would cost to ship to Jersey but I would guess $120 to have them put it on a pallet and deliver it to a shop of your choice.

I guess that because that is what it cost me to have a tranny shipped across the country from the east coast to Idaho.

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
maneesh said:
i am going to take it to someone else this friday...

I wouldn't mind changing the water pump and leaving it at that. I had the timing belt changed at 90k miles.

If I limit my driving to my work, which is 33 miles each way, I should be fine I'm guessing...
are you saying you want to drive a car with a coolant leak 33 miles a day?? i would recommend garaging that thing until you find a solution. driving a car with a damaged head gasket can further damage the heads, making them warp. and you dont want to be on your way to work and have it completely blow on you- and have to get towed.

jon

·
Lex ES330
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok.. to make a long story short... had a fix it shop replace the radiator + upper/lower hoses, water pump, thermoastat and gasket, and the timing belt. This costed me 524 in parts and 300 bucks in labor.

I think this should last me another 60k on the car, and praying nothing else breaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts