Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know whats going, just the other day i noticed that it was not working. Anyone else have this problem? I'm gonna attempt to take it apart and see if there's power to it.:confused:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I remember reading that there is a calibration TSB on these. Not sure how old your truck is but maybe the dealer didn't do it. Take it back to them

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
I had the same problem with mine three days after I bought it. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty. They said the circuit board in the compass/temp module overheated and fried itself. I say take it the dealer and let them do the trouble shooting.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
If for some reason your problem is not under warranty, I have a spare display/control unit that goes in the overhead console. It was left over from my Scangauge mod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same probelm. My temp/compass just stopped working one day. Next morning it started working. One week later and it's not working again. I have 40K on my truck and the dealership says a new unit, not installed, is $1,500. Give me a break. I bought a Toyota for the quality. I've got four Toyotas in the family but my new Tacoma is having all the problems. :sosad:

From what other people have said in other threads on this topic, it sounds like a fried circuit board. Is their a way I can just get the board or possibly have it fixed?

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
sean6664 said:
I have the same probelm. My temp/compass just stopped working one day. Next morning it started working. One week later and it's not working again. I have 40K on my truck and the dealership says a new unit, not installed, is $1,500. Give me a break. I bought a Toyota for the quality. I've got four Toyotas in the family but my new Tacoma is having all the problems. :sosad:

From what other people have said in other threads on this topic, it sounds like a fried circuit board. Is their a way I can just get the board or possibly have it fixed?
I've got a spare board/display unit. It only has about 5k miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How much do you want for it?

Last night I purchased a nice Gentex temp/compass, auto-dim, homelink mirror with amber display. Thought I might use that and do your scangauge mod. I come to find out the scan gauge has been replaced by the scangauge2. I'm not sure if it would be an easier install by just drilling holes in the old temp/compass lens for the buttons or if it would not fit at all. It looks to have an improved display. Also, cord length is a concern. The new scan gauge has a 6 food cord. Is that the same or longer than the scangauge in your truck? What's your take on this new gauge and how it might fit in the old temp/compass location?

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I think the cord is long enough, but I don't know about installing the SG2 like I did with the SG1. The SG2 has a wider display screen.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,744 Posts
sean, it wont work. the screen is way to big to fit in the temp/comp loca.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine just did it too with 60 miles left on the warranty. I parked my truck yesterday and made my girlfriend drive me around.

Brought it to the local dealer who has ordered the part and will install when it comes in.

I'm beginning to question the longevity of our "bullet proof" trucks. Nothing ever broke like this in my previous Toyota's. So far, I've had every ailment as everyone else along with the broken steering rack seal the first day I've had it.

Problems thus far:
Steering rack seal broken from factory --- leaked all Powersteering fluid took a week to get a new steering rack (back in 9/05)
Rear Spring Squeek (fixed via TSB)
Rear window leaking (fixed)
Engine tick (TSB)
Heating Fan noise (fixed)
now the temp/compass (being fixed)

bottoming out like everyone else..

What's next that won't be under warranty??

steve
05 DC 4x4 TRD Sport

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
Poffy74 said:
Mine just did it too with 60 miles left on the warranty. I parked my truck yesterday and made my girlfriend drive me around.

Brought it to the local dealer who has ordered the part and will install when it comes in.

I'm beginning to question the longevity of our "bullet proof" trucks. Nothing ever broke like this in my previous Toyota's. So far, I've had every ailment as everyone else along with the broken steering rack seal the first day I've had it.

Problems thus far:
Steering rack seal broken from factory --- leaked all Powersteering fluid took a week to get a new steering rack (back in 9/05)
Rear Spring Squeek (fixed via TSB)
Rear window leaking (fixed)
Engine tick (TSB)
Heating Fan noise (fixed)
now the temp/compass (being fixed)

bottoming out like everyone else..

What's next that won't be under warranty??

steve
05 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
this might be out of the topic but how were you able to tell that the rear window was leaking?
when i wash my truck there are signs that water has got through, its minor but noticable. i also noticed that there is minor rust build up where the jack is located. i should probaby take the back plastic off to inspect it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I may be able to offer some advice on this one.

I bought my truck used and it had the temp/compass guage but it didn't work. I figured since it was the one part of the truck that didn't work that I could live with it, but sure enough I got curious and took it apart a few days later to see if I could find out what was going on.

When I tore it apart I found that the resistors on the top left of the board are contact not pin style and when laid on the board there is nothing holding it in except that solder. What I found was that the solder could not hold up to the high temps involved. If you take it apart and look you can see the solder is a "flat crackly faded silver" not a smooth finish like it should be. This solder had overheated and let my resistor fall a little so that one side was not connected anymore. After re-soldering it works like it should from the factory. If you look at the picture on the top page the resistor has a "510" labeled on the top in white and a black background.

This is what I would check first, but it may have just been mine and not a common theme.

Hope this helps, cause it's an easy fix with some nicer solder.

Also, mine is a 2005 so they may have modified the solder mix in the circuit board since then.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Yeah. The SG2's display is too big to fit in the temp/compass location, like the mod I did with the SG1.

1 - 20 of 410 Posts