Toyota Nation Forum banner

381 - 400 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Followup: When mine first failed, I bought a fine point soldering gun & fixed it myself. It lasted less than a year. This time, sent to autoclockrepair & let them fix it. For $36xx, I would not have tried the repair myself again. They also guarantee the repair. Just my .02

·
Lady in Red
1,515 Posts
Ut oh, mine went out yesterday. 7 1/2 years old (2006), 56,000 miles of South Florida heat. I think I'll send it out for repair! Thanks for the link RTFM!

Edit: Update 12/01, received my fixed console yesterday and it is back in my truck working great! Thanks to Steve at autoclockrepair.com!

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,882 Posts
Didn't realize this was such a wide spread problem.....Nice quality Toyota!

Mine went out a few weeks ago when we had the sub zero temps for an extended time frame.

Can't believe how much I relied on the temp gauge now that it's out.

2006, 64,000 miles.

I'll try resolder myself, or may send it off to autoclockrepair, what's another few weeks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Simple Pricess Problem Toyota REFUSES to admit!

Didn't realize this was such a wide spread problem.....Nice quality Toyota!

Mine went out a few weeks ago when we had the sub zero temps for an extended time frame.

Can't believe how much I relied on the temp gauge now that it's out.

2006, 64,000 miles.

I'll try resolver myself, or may send it off to autoclockrepair, what's another few weeks.
I've been round and round with Toyota on this and they refuse to address, let alone correct the problem. It is always that same two resistors with cold solder joints. I dealt with the same type of quality/process problems while working for a worldwide computer company, working with a vendor in Mexico. Several times I had to go to their factory to address scratched boards and cold solder joints, recall defective boards and have the vendor not only fix the defective boards but fix their process issues. Shame on Toyota!

An alternative to sending your console board out for repair might be to find a competent radio/electronics repair shop with SMT soldering station, show them the exact problem and they should be able to perform a clean repair within minutes. Just make sure they "wick off" the old solder, use a tiny dab of solder flux and solder the bad joints to a nice shiny finish. This is not brain surgery...just takes a little skill. Good luck.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,882 Posts
Fixed - took me all of about 30 mins.....took a while for the soldering iron to heat up :)

Was very straight forward, the clips gave me a little grief when I removed the center console, and as soon as I pulled it part, the solder connection was broken....resoldered, all good. I also threw a bead of solder on the matching piece. So hopefully that will hold for a few years. I really missed having my temp gauge.

Thanks for the pics and the great write ups.

·
Registered
55 Posts
zmtmbik and ALL ON THIS FORUM,

It's great so many have solved this manufacturing defect, which Toyota should have admitted to and fixed years ago. However, PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO MCMIXMASTER for his step by step process, with pictures, of where to find, and how to fix the problem. I think his post is on pg. 3 of all of these posts. As far as I can tell, most everyone was ticked off and floundering until MCMIXMASTER's post. All I did was read his post, follow his instructions an voila, problem fixed. The only credit I can take is knowing how to solder electronic components.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I fixed this several years ago on my 07, and tonight had to re-do it, but it works.
It's a quick 15 minute fix, even if I had to do it twice.

BTW, my solder weld from a few years back had broken. I guess the extreme temps took a toll on my 'quality' work from before! LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
bleednomore here...new member...2009 Tacoma...I too same issues..
1....front running lights melted...not covered under factory defective..bs
2....have replaced headlights (bulb) once on right side three times on drivers side
3...speed three on blower motor won't work...cleaned it at connector,,,working ok for now...absolutely an electrical issue..just like headlight assembly
4...overhead temp/comp...totally out...can't get housing out to look at connections...Toyota won't cover...more bs
5...Toyota seems to be making great strides toward becoming the trash truck of the century ...more bs bout warranties...time limits and milage...pure horse*((*&
6...I'm looking into the "lemon" laws of Louisiana...regardless..my dealer and Japan is going to get an ear full of my issues with this one truck. Obviously not a single truck issues...this forum speaks of all of the above issues....we'll join hands on national news ......later guys...i'll post results as I get there...give everyone lots of time to join a national protest...

7-8-14 UPDATE...Toyota has just issued an extended warranty on my headlight issue....contact your local dealer if melted running lights........I removed tem/comp assembly....viewed via on this site to fix....it works fine now......thanks guys...

·
Registered
4 Posts
As dtacow said it is most likely the resister. I searched the forum when I had the problem and some one suggested it so I took pictures as I did the fix. It was really easy and only took about 45 minutes to do.
2009 toy...Tacoma ... thanks for pictures. i'm going to try to remove assembly...luk how it turns out

·
Resident Lurker
28 Posts
I performed this fix a few years ago...everything worked great up until this week when it randomly failed again on my way home from work. The first time around, I simply resoldered the 510 resistors...this time, I used the two 1/2 watt 47-ohm resistors from Radio Shack. These were FAR easier to work with...to be honest, I broke one of the ears off of the original resistors while trying to solder it back in place (it had completely fallen off this time), so it was either order more of the original style resistors or try this. For $1.59, I think I'll take my chances. Hopefully these won't fail like the original ones did.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I performed this fix a few years ago...everything worked great up until this week when it randomly failed again on my way home from work. The first time around, I simply resoldered the 510 resistors...this time, I used the two 1/2 watt 47-ohm resistors from Radio Shack. These were FAR easier to work with...to be honest, I broke one of the ears off of the original resistors while trying to solder it back in place (it had completely fallen off this time), so it was either order more of the original style resistors or try this. For $1.59, I think I'll take my chances. Hopefully these won't fail like the original ones did.
This is exactly what I did with mine the second time around. Has been working perfectly for the last 7 years.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
im a new member with same issue temp/comp....I viewed a vid on this site and resoldered two power resistors....works fine not bout a 30 min...job....need fine tip solder iron or gun.....032 bearing solder...and a magnifying glass at 10x...see vid...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Display: Temp Circuit board Fied.

I bought my Tacoma in Dec of 05 Seems that my temp display has burnt up. Must be the wear and tear of living at 1000 Ft above sea level. I flew to close to the sun,>:D I guess. I will mention it as I deal with the tailgate, as many of you have or will. TY

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have an '09 TRD Access Cab. I have NOT had the failure (yet), and overall am happy with my truck. However, I find that this display is hard to read in sunlight, and it is in a terrible position for the driver. Has anyone installed a more useful display in this space?

·
My Other Truck
3,778 Posts
I find that this display is hard to read in sunlight, and it is in a terrible position for the driver. Has anyone installed a more useful display in this space?
I have not, but I agree completely with your assessment. Before our '05 Tacoma, we owned a '95 Grand Cherokee. Its compass / temperature display was always easy to read, even in sunlight. In my opinion, Toyota dropped the ball on the overhead display -- as well as a few other areas, but this thread is just for the display units. :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Easy fix if you don't mind soldering, I had the same problem, googled it, replaced two resistors on the circuit board and good as new!

381 - 400 of 408 Posts
About this Discussion
407 Replies
246 Participants
HotRod53
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing