Toyota Nation Forum banner

401 - 408 of 408 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
I have an '09 TRD Access Cab. I have NOT had the failure (yet), and overall am happy with my truck. However, I find that this display is hard to read in sunlight, and it is in a terrible position for the driver. Has anyone installed a more useful display in this space?

Are you driving around with your headlights on? I leave mine on all the time, and can't see the display, as it dims when the lights are on. The link below is a thread which bypasses the dimmer when the lights are on. Still need to do the clock mod.

IF you don't leave your lights on, never mind, I got nothing to help.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-2nd-generation-2005-2015/403299-temp-compass-mod.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks to MCMIXMASTER! Mine is a 2007, so lasted quite awhile, but temp gauge went out last week. Dealer estimate $500 plus. Took 5 minutes to get it out, took it down to a local electronics shop and had it professionally re soldered and cost me $25. Another 5 minutes to put it back in and works fine.

The bigger issue for me is trust. We've owned Toyota's, off and on, for 40 years. We've got, what I think is, a good local dealer. Had them do the leaf spring recall 3 weeks ago and discovered a noisy left front bearing. Replaced it last week because I trust them. I will continue to have the truck serviced there because it's handy but after this issue with the temp gauge I've got to double check everything they suggest. Not a good feeling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When my 2006 console quit working in 2009 I removed it and took it to the local dealer to trouble shoot. They charged me $69 to tell me it didn't work and wanted $800 for a new one. I had read in a TN forum about some of the soldered circuits cracking and so I took it to my nephew and explained what I had read to him. While we were talking he was looking closely at the circuit board and said he could see at least one place where the solder had cracked. He fixed it in about two minutes and it worked perfectly for over a year until a tractor trailer lost a set of wheels that crossed the yellow line and hit me head-on and totaled my truck. Look for somebody who may work where they do a lot of soldering and ask them to take a close look at it for you. I bet they can fix it fast! Forget the dealer - all they want to do is sell new parts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Overhead Console Circuit Board Fix

There is a thread on repair of the overhead console circuit board. I can't find that thread now but, it was extremely well done with instructions and pictures. This has been an endemic problem Toyota has never admitted to. Their circuit board manufacturer (Mexico?) has had a quality control problem for years. Been there, seen it as electrical engineering project manager buying circuit boards made in Mexico.

That Toyota ignores this problem and not dealt with the quality control of sourced parts is unforgivable.

If yours is the same circuit board I had to repair, there are two surface mount resistors that had "cold solder" joints and, for many, dislodged. The resistors are marked "510". Following the thread and pictures, I was able to remove the circuit board, then the resistors using "d-soldering braid", good flux to clean the contacts, a fine tipped soldering iron and fine tipped needle nose pliers to hold the resistors in place while re-soldering them. Having had the right tools and supplies, the problem was cured and never occurred again.

If you have, or can find some one with reasonably good soldering skills, the repair task is relatively easy. It takes more time to remove and re-insert the circuit board in the vehicle than it does to fix the cold solder joints. A local, competent tech should cost you much less than an $800 replacement circuit board that may have the same problems.

Good luck

·
06' tacoma 4x4 LB
48 Posts
If it's in warranty take it back and get them to replace it. Only problem is the one you get may do the same thing as they ALL have a common problem that may surface. Remove the one screw and then grasp the housing and pull down. Not too far to rip the wires out but to get it loose from the roof. Remove the circuit board and on the component side there will be a few flat gray/black resistors. These resistors get so warm they unsolder themselves and/or there was a light solder job done to it and thermal expansion breaks the connection. Whatever causes it just glob on the solder to the ends and it should not happen again. If you don't solder or know anyone who does take it by a TV shop and have them solder it up for ya. This is generally an easy fix and the resistors coming loose like that is something that just happens with time to some Electronics. I figure the solder was too light to start with.
I soldered new resistors on and now my compass is not giving the right direction.could these resistors be making a magnetic field throwing it off? Has anyone repaired there's and had this problem ?

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
2,601 Posts
I soldered new resistors on and now my compass is not giving the right direction.could these resistors be making a magnetic field throwing it off? Has anyone repaired there's and had this problem ?
That's a good problem to have, if it stays lit you're almost done.

There is a procedure that you need to do that involves pressing certain buttons and driving in a circle in a parking lot..... that's what calibrates it. Do a search for Tacoma compass calibration or Toyota service bulletin PD039-04

401 - 408 of 408 Posts
About this Discussion
407 Replies
246 Participants
HotRod53
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing